the new bunny has been neutered

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browneyedgal

Reaction score
The new bunny has been neutered today. she came back rather drowsy and refused food for about 4 hours. I was getting a bit worried for her but she drank from her bottle when I brought it to her and she just had a small slice of apple from my hand as well. hooray.

I am a bit worried for her because her left eye is closed shut and would not open. I tried wiping it with a wet cottonbud but nothing happened. It just would not open. I hope the vet has not hurt her eye during the operation.

She is due back for a check up on Saturday and stitches will be removed on 14 Jul.

I hope she will be alright.

Browneyedgal

Thats great news that shes ok, I hope the minor problems clear up soon too. Make sure to keep us posted.

May I ask how much she weighs please? I'm just interested to know because my girl is pretty small and would like to know if there are any small girls that have been done.

I am not sure about her weight, only could tell by comparing her with a packet of sugar and I guess she is under 1 kg. Probably around 750g.

I have not had the chance to see the vet let alone speak to him / her! The vet assistant is the one I saw who took the carrier off me and then handed it back to me when the operation was completed. It's an inhouse vet for Pets at Home store in Canterbury, Kent. It cost me £45 in total including VAT and includes having the stitches removed later. it is the cheapest surgery I could find to do the procedure. Others wanted something in the region of £78 or more.

I havent noticed the eye until about 45 mins ago. When I first went to pick her up from the vets, she was in a closed carrier box so I could not look at her carefully. I did not observe her that closely until a short while ago when I was trying to coax her to eat some greens or a slice of apple that I noticed the eye. The vets is now shut so I can't do much about it unfortunately.

I just hope that it was merely because she had been lying on that side when they did the surgery so she decided to keep it shut as she is still under the influence of anesthetic.

I will keep all of you posted! Thanks for your concern! :)

Browneyedgal

Just a quick update.

I went to make a bit of chopped up vegetables for the new bunny so that I can try to spoon feed her with it. She ate a few mouthfuls and then stopped taking it from me. She just does not want to eat much. She kept shaking her head to tell me she's had enough. She's cute :biggrin2:

She drinks a lot though. I bring her drinking bottle to her every 30 mins and she drinks from it. The bottle contains some medication for her so I am hoping she will drink all 50 ml of it by the end of the night and i can give her more medicine tomorrow.

I did see her left eye open a little. There is a bit of dried up mucous on the eyelids. I think it might have been the side effect of anesthetic. I am glad I saw her eye open for a short while. The eyeball looked fine. She closed it again when I turned on the table lamp to try to see better.

I hope she will fare better tomorrow. I haven't had much success in coaxing her to eat tonight and I have to be back to work tomorrow so I can't give her a lot of nursing care during the day :sad:. I feel bad now for not taking more days off work for her.

Browneyedgal

Another update:

The new bunny was still drowsy this morning. The good news is that her left eye which was closed shut yesterday is now open and no more tearing. Nice one :biggrin2:. No problem with the eye.

She was refusing drink and food before I left for work this morning. I was worried sick about her all day. I even went to get her a syringe and looked for some organic baby vege or fruit food during my lunch hour with every intention to force feed her if she did not eat anything by the time I arrived home. You cannot imagine how hard it is to find organic vegetarian baby food here! I looked for it in Iceland, Marks & Spencers, Wilkinsons, Holland & Barrett and even Superdrugs store. nothing! Then I went to pet essentials (a small pet shop) to ask if they have Nutri-Cal. They have not even heard of it! :shock: I telephoned another pet shop just about 1 mile outside of my workplace, they too have not heard of it before! :shock::shock: I finally found something in Sainsbury (well not exactly an easy choice either as most had stuff in it that you would not feed a bunny with e.g. chicken or potato)

By the time I got home at 6:30pm I saw her chewing a bit of hay. I tried to force feed her some carrot and sweetcorn babyfood I got for her but she just didn't like it. She shook her head and sneezed indicating that she does not want it. I managed to get her to eat a small slice of apple again which she nearly finished it. She is not drinking as much as she did yesterday though and she refused the drinking bottle when I brought it to her. She did 2 small wet cecals. No ordinary poops yet.

I hope she is going to be better tomorrow. I do feel bad having to put her through this surgery.

Browneyedgal

Final update on the new bunny

She's fine! She was hopping around in my living room today. She even did a few binkies despite her surgery. I am impressed. She also came to me when I called her, sat down and licked my hand.

She will be due to a health check on Saturday 07 Jul and her stitches will come out on 14 Jul.

Thanks for all who care about NiuNiu. :D

Browneyedgal

Latest posts

Back