the licking rabbit....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toby2449

Reaction score

hello all, we're fully enjoying being daddy & mummy to ourbundle of joy, and she seems to be thriving, really enjoying life (wethink she thinks she's a dog-running around the house after us!).

One thing she does do though is, if we hold one finger out she'll rubher chin off it, and then lick the finger! Is this normal behavour???whats she trying to tell us???

Many thanks,

Mark, Siobhan & Dolly!

I have 2 young ones my self and they do the samething. At first i thought they may have needed a salt orminiral spool so I bought them one of each but I come to find out it istheir way of showing affection just like cats do. Nothing toworry about I promise you.

Ben

Hey, this mostlikely could be three things. One, some rabbits love lickingsalt off their owners hands an arms, Two she could be tryingto groom you. Rabbits often bond by licking each other.
As far as rubbing her head on yourhands, she is claiming you as her human. You are her friendand she is putting her smell on your hand to let any other rabbit youmeet know that. Watch her closely and you will possibly seeher mark furniture and other object the same way, claiming herterritory. :D Consider it an honor! Some rabbits neverdisplay this behavior to their owners, even though they may like them.

thanks guys for the replies, you've made my day,i kinda knew the whole licking/rubbing thing was a good sign, but thisis just fab, i don't think either of us honestly ever thought a rabbitwould be such good company, and an absolute joy to have around.:D

Rabbits have scent glands under their chin, andlike cats will rub their scent glands on things they want to claim astheirs. The first thing my buns do when let out to play is tochin everything with in reach in the pen.

As for licking, it is most definitly a sign of affection.Rabbits don't lick your skin for salt or minerals, they do it becausthey view you as another rabbit and are grooming you. Rabbitsshould get all the salt and minerals they need from their pellets, andsalt licks are really not needed, and can cause excessive drinking.

So, enjoy your happy little bun! Savour those bunny kisses because not every bunny is as free and liberal with them.

--Dawn

toby2449 wrote:
hello all, we're fully enjoying being daddy & mummy to ourbundle of joy, and she seems to be thriving, really enjoying life (wethink she thinks she's a dog-running around the house after us!).

One thing she does do though is, if we hold one finger out she'll rubher chin off it, and then lick the finger! Is this normal behavour???whats she trying to tell us???

Many thanks,

Mark, Siobhan & Dolly!
Katrina does this all the time. She rubs her chin on EVERTHING andlicks it afterwards. I don't know why she does this but has since dayone and continuesto now. I would say it's pretty normal andfine. Katrina will lick anything she can as much as possible and shealternates the licking with chin rubbing a lot so don't worry. Normalrabbit behaviour.

Back