the great outdoors / poisonous?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luluznewz

Reaction score
So I was at my parents house this weekend and I brought Lulu with me (didnt have any other choice, I was going to be gone for almost a week). They have an incredible back yard (I live in the city with no backyard) so I took Lulu's xpen and went outside.

She really seemed to enjoy hopping in the grass. I realized, however, that I saw her eat a leaf. I think it was a maple leaf. There were others in they yard, and I took them away whenever I saw her try to nibble them.

I'm starting to get nervous. She seems completely fine, but I wish I had raked before I let her roam. There were just a lot of leaves and it didnt really occur to me.

In your experiences, is it okay to let rabbits play outside? Is there anything I should worry about. I looked on a poisonous plant list and it said maple leaves were poisonous to horses but said nothing about rabbits. Ive checked a few rabbit specific lists as well, but am still concerned.

Maple leaves are dangerous? Coulda fooled me. Riley and Pancake eat dried and fresh leaves of all sorts outside and I haven't seen any problems yet. I've had them for less than a year though. I think some of these plants that are considered poisonous probably really are, but then others have to be eaten in HUGE quantities to make a problem. For instance, mornign glories are supposedly poisonous, but riley and pancake ate tons of them before I realized they were on the list of things not to eat.

I'm not suggesting what I let my rabbits do is a good idea, just this is my experience so far.

Our rabbit enjoy eating the fall leaves we rake-up (I use them for bedding as well).

The biggest risk of outdoor play is parasites. Fungal infections can also be a concern.

But, I believe that the risk far outweighs the positive physiological benefits and psychological stimulation of outdoor exercise and exploration.

Pam

okay I feel better. I think she really enjoyed it, so I wouldn't want to take away something that made her happy, but I dont have the money to toss around on vet visits that could be avoided. Plus shes a sensitive bun and I dont want her to get a belly ache.

It makes me feel a lot better that other peoples rabbits eat random leaves and are okay. I guess that makes sense, rabbits in the wild probably eat all sorts of things.

Back