The first bunny date - How did mine go?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mubunny

Reaction score
Ok so I finally introduced my bunnies to eachother (they are both male. It happened in the bathroom they could be about 3 feet apart or so. They mostly ignored each other I had a carrot for each of them on their respective sides of the room. Winston did bug Poplar, he chased him a bit (I think he was trying to mount but it lasted only a few seconds so I couldn't separate them). They smelt each other, I think Winston might have bit Poplar a bit but again happened so fast I couldn't tell and no hair came off Poplar and he has no owwie on his head. There was one small 'scuffle' that I broke up. Eventually Poplar calmed down enough (or was tempted enough) to eat his carrot. Is this typical? Is there hope for them?

It sounds like it went well. Rabbits might have a scuffle to determine who is the boss and how their relationship will work. As long as it is not a full out fight, and they can get along after, then they should work it out. It is rare for 2 rabbits to get along perfectly for day 1. The eating is a good sign. That he was calm enough to eat shows that he is not too stressed by being somewhere new (the bathroom) and the other bun.
If I remember correctly, they were recently neutered. It can take a few weeks for the hormones to calm down, so they might still have some male urges for a bit longer.

Maybe Winston is grumpy about when they first met at the shelter, Poplar was the pushy one then. Only Poplar was neutered (Winston had already been done before I got him) and it's been two and a half weeks since he had his surgery.
I've heard that you can rub banana on a bun so the other will lick it off simulating grooming. Would this work to put some on Poplar so Winston can come off as more loving?
Also how can I tell if Winston is going to be aggressive? His ears are really floppy so they don't really move back and they didn't move at all when he was bugging Poplar.

I agree it sounds like it went well. I can't tell when mine are going to be aggresive. Sometimes they will grunt but not always. I am just always ready with a spray bottle or a broom if they do get nasty. I had someone from the HRS come help me try to bond my rabbits and she told me to let them go as long as they weren't fighting. If they were just chasing each other to let them. It is how they figure out who is going to be the dominate bunny. It was so hard. Which is why, a year later mine are still not bonded. Bonding is hard work but it is worth it in the end. Good luck and keep us updated.

They are doing really well. Not bonded yet but they can be really close and not mind each other. Both can be hand fed.

Latest posts

Back