The Dwarf Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit_whisperer

Reaction score

How mnay of you have a dwarf rabbit? I might get one and am wondering if they are a good breed.

thanks,Jd.:bunnydance:

My dwarf Pipp is my smartest bunny, she's the fastest and the most hyper, but in a good way. She launches herself onto my lap and showers me with bunny kisses, then launches her self off my lap when I go to pull a loose tuft of hair. She's fearless and adventurous.

She's not the character the ever-cheerful but fiesty mini-rex Dill is,but they have similar traits -- they're always on the move and they're the only bunnies who consistently come when they're called (and they remember their names after not being called by them for six months), and if you tell them 'no', they listen -- forawhile. Pipp ismore calculatingthan Dill, Dill is more adventurous, but not by much.Neither seem to realize they're midgets.

Sherry is a dwarf mix,she's not as hyper, but she's very sweet, and no dumb bunny, even though I thought she was at first. I didn't wantto keep her, I was forced into it when she accidently bonded with Dill. But she's turned out to bea real sweetheart. She's a little shy, but not that nervous (Dill has no nerves at all -- or maybe I should say he's all nerve).She's quite independent of Dill, she's not his shadow, butshe's not as adventurous (but who is). She loves getting her pets.

Radar, who's a ... 5 or 6lb black bunny, isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He's happy to sit around and eat hay all day and hyperventilate when he thinks he has to walk on linoleum.Helets his girlfriend, my mini-lop Darry,run his life, he's not very adventurous.Darry's fairlybright, but fourth on the list of five in the brainsdepartment, and she's last in the friendliness and personality categories.But that could just be because she doesn't care about humans,much. (She grew up with Dill, who bonds with a passing wind, soshe has no excuse).

Pipphas the most health problems. She has molar spurs, which happens a lot with dwarfs.

sas

All breeds are "good." Personality really depends on the individual. I have three different "dwarfs," so I would know.

Mocha is a Polish. She's a diva extraordinaire. She's moody, territorial, spooks easily, and literally wishes that Fey and Sprite were dead. She's also totally in love with her boyfriend Loki, sometimes demands that she be petted (and won't let you pet her otherwise), and loves to jump on top of me and lick my hair.

Sprite is a Dwarf Hotot. She spooks easily too and doesn't like hands. But she likes people a lot. She loves jumping on top of me, tugging on my pants, and throwing toys that I give her.

Fey is a Dwarf Hotot too, and is Sprite's sister. She's pretty easy-going. She loves to be petted but she also loves to run and binky. She acts sweet but has a naughty streak a mile wide, and she's smart enough to do it quietly and behind my back. I've seen her lift an NIC gate, slide it aside, walk in, and push it back! Needless to say, everything is weighted now!

It's not unusual for owners of dwarf breeds to complain that they're too hyper for their tastes and not loving.

Mocha, my little netherland dwarf, is the sweetest out of all my rabbits. I hold like a baby and cuddle her all the time and she doesnt mind:D I guess shes pretty unusual!

Keoki, my dwarf mix, is very hyper loves to give kiss but doesn't like to me held. He is a little brat and a big jumper/climber of anything! don't know how many times I had to run a get him off things because he got stuck! Crazy guy.

goku, is holland lop, he is very calm not very fast and absolutely detests being picked up and still very skittish around us.

but I love them all!

I have a netherland dwarf, and she is full of personality. She is very needy and adores to be pet and nuzzled. She can be extremely hyper in the mornings and if she hears the treat container, and can be quite fiesty if I'm trying to pick her up. She also is a drama queen and doesn't handle stress at all.

I have a netherland dwarf who is just adorable in his own little way! He is not really hyper, but quite active. He HATES to be picked up, is not keen on being petted, but likes to be around people and is as curious as they come. He used to be quite skittish, but is getting better.He is also playful, butting my kids in the legs to get them to chase him. He seems to have chilled out some since being bonded, but they have only been bonded a month, so I am not too sure how it wil affect his personality if at all.

I agree that it is not really the breed, but the personality that makes a bun.

OMG You'll love them! My Lily has so much personality that I cannot even believe. I find that right now (because of her bread) I have to keep her cool, the heat does wipe her out. But I can really tell that she loves me, running up to me and angling her head for me to scratch. You'll never be happier.

My bunny when I was a little girl was a ND. He was adorable and put up with a lot from me. He lived a long time too. He was at least 10 when he died.

Don't believe the rumors about ND's. They are great rabbits!

Latest posts

Back