The difference between dominance and hormonal mounting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassnessxox

Reaction score
At the moment Im trying to bond my male and female. Cleo was spayed around 2 months ago, Bambi was neutured about 5 weeks ago.

I've been trying to bond them for the past few weeks and so far everything has gone quite well. There has been not one sign of violence, face licking and relaxed rabbits. The one problem I'm having is humping.

Everything will be going well then Bambi will suddenly start mounting her, Cleo runs away a bit, she doesn't like it much, it will go on for a little while then he will get bored and go lay down. I'm just not sure if I should stop him because it is just his left over hormones or if I should let them work out who is dominant. I know it can take up to 2 months for hormones to dissipate, I just thought he would have calmed down by now. I just don't want Cleo to get upset and dislike him if it is just hormones.

They seem to like each other and crave attention from each other. They have bunny face off when I have them together. They sit face to face, put their heads down and stare at each other till one licks the other. I just want them to have bunny loves together :bunnieskiss

He might possibly still be a bit hormonal, but then again he gets bored with it, so maybe not. I guess I'd keep doing what you're doing.

Sounds like normal bonding to me. I would pop them in together and leave them together from now on - it sounds like they are pretty much bonded :) You should find the mounting will decrease gradually over the next few days/weeks. If you are splitting them up after each meeting it will go on longer as he'll feel the need to try it again each time they meet.

I think it's about 1-2 minutes that you should let him hump before you push him off... unless he's humping the wrong end, in which case you should stop it immediately to make sure he doesn't get bitten.

How long have they been in the neutral territory? I'd leave them together in there for 24/48 hours non stop. Then if it's all still fine, you can move them where they'll live permanently. Expect to see more mounting again when you move them - that's normal and it will taper off again.

Hmm probably about a month, but I eased off on the bonding a bit before christmas because I wanted to make sure Bambis hormones wouldn't effect the bonding. I had them in the pen outside yesterday, which isn't neutral, they have both been out there before, and I pretty much got the same behaviour. Face licking which turns into a bit of mounting then Cleo runs away, Bambi chases her a bit then gets bored and lies down. Then they will both groom themselves for a while or hop around and lay down until Bambi runs over to her again and the situation repeats lol. If I sit in the cage right near them there is less humping, it's like Bambi knows I dont like him doing it. Cleo licks him back occassionally, but when she does she will do it for a few seconds then lower her head like she is saying 'ok now you lick me!'

I have had them in the bathroom all morning together, I stayed with them at first then left them to it, checking on them occassionally. They do appear to be bonded. I would catch them lying right next to each other, or licking each other. I have just opened the door and left it open so they can go back outside in the yard if they want but they have just been hanging out together in the bathroom. Usually I open the door and they both run for it! Ooooo it's so nice to have them together!!:yahoo:

Some photos of my newly bonded happily married buns :inlove:
Yes she actually has her leg stretched out on top of Bambi in those last two :spintongue

IMG_20130105_082539.jpg

IMG_20130105_140849.jpg

IMG_20130105_143032.jpg

IMG_20130112_104655.jpg

IMG_20130112_104644.jpg

Aww they are an ADORABLE pair! I'm so glad to read this news that they are happily bonded. Your story almost mirrored mine exactly. I never had one even tiny scuffle but lots of humping. I just want to say you may see a random hump here and there even after some time has past. I did and it passed and never caused any issues :)

Again congrats!

Latest posts

Back