the day has finally come for breeding! am i doing things right?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the rabbits are now 7 months old so maybe you are correct.

i cut down on the pellets to about 1/2 the usual amount and low and behold there was some action today. i saw the buck doing his thing however, the doe did not have her tail in the air so i doubt he bred her. i will keep on trying a couple times a day until i think they bred.

thanks!

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
Why did you cut back their feed? And since I believe they are not old enough, it is not good to have them together.

the breeder i purchased them from told me that cutting back on pellets may cause them to breed. she said, 'hungry rabbits are horny rabbits.'

what is the right age then? i was told 6 months. gosh i am really lost now, i feel like i am getting so much different information on what to do. i want the rabbits to be safe, healthy and breed.

thanks for any help. i will not put them together again until i hear back from you.

With big rabbits they are slower to grow. Both my Elops where a year when the had there first litter. I started trying just after they turned 9mo. I would wait till at least 9mo.

Jashaira wrote:
With big rabbits they are slower to grow. Both my Elops where a year when the had there first litter. I started trying just after they turned 9mo. I would wait till at least 9mo.
I would wait a while as well. Its been a while since I've had large rabbits and wasn't sure on the ages. But I would wait.

Also, don't cut back their food. The rabbits are expanding more energy and thus need more food to sustain them. Does being hungry make you want to do the deed? No. Being hungry makes you hungry and angry.

There is good advice here. I started my rabbitry earlier this year with all juniors besides a couple pet Lionheads we have had for some time. Most of my does will be of breeding age in October which will be 9 to 10 months age for most of them. The timing was planned this way because our summer is hot and stressful enough without adding breeding into the equation. We are raising mostly French Lops and Flemish Giants which grow and mature a little slower than the smaller breeds. My idea is to have them at a sufficient body size which I believe is healthier for both the doe and the babies.

I would wait until they are atless 8 - 9 months old before breeding them.
I dont have much experince with NZ rabbits, however the are a big meat breed so they are slow devolpers.

Latest posts

Back