The babies are here!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyandHazel

Reaction score
Hazel had six huge healthy babies this morning! Thank god they're all alive- my kids would have been heartbroken, and I think I would have been too. I cant believe how big they are - holy cow. I didnt stay long (Hazel ran in and attacked me, the good momma that she it) but they have to be 3 inches long at least. She was only 4.5-5lbs before she was pregnant! She pulled out her fur right before having them - I looked in on her at 7:30 and there was no fur or babies, and at 11:30 I went out to give them parsley and there was a full nest of fur and babies!

Now to find a vet to neuter Snowy (and later Hazel).

ztf883.jpg

I dont want to bother her - Im leaving her be, but I peeked in (just lifted the lid a little) and she ran over again and squeaked and grunted at me. I'm respecting her wishes, but I'd also like to get a proper head count (I barely counted to 6 before she noticed me, there might be 5 or 7). How long should I wait before I fish around in the nest? Is it fine if she's distracted with food and cant see me?

yay glad she had them all safe and sound. It sounds like you'll need to find a way to distract her and yes using food is fine. Its good to get a headcount that way you can keep track of them daily and the sooner you can do it the better you will feel.

I let her down on the bottom ramp and gave her some fresh hay- I had 30 seconds before she ran back up and gave me hell :D

There are indeed 6, and they look almost identical! They all have black skin, or grey, with pink bellies. Im over the moon they're all alive! (I covered them back up- she did have them buried under a pile of fur)

29ft4sx.jpg

Awww, bless them. Even though she's defensive towards you, it sounds like Hazel is going to make a very good mum. Glad to know that six happy, healthy babies arrived :)

Im happy she's being protective :)

I wonder what color they will be? She's brown and dad is albino. Probably no white babies if their skin is all grey?

I am going to guess all chestnut agouti since that is what mom is. But time will tell and it always depends on not just the color of the parents but what is hiding underneath. If they all look like the one above then yes there are no white babies. REW will only show up if both parents carry it since its a recessive gene. Chestnut agouti is a very dominant gene and is probably what they will be.

Back