the 3rd bun arrival...what to do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiah

Reaction score
our human parents are insane! they just brought home another bun...which makes 3 of us now. my boyfriend and i live in the same cage, but the new bun lives by herself. her name is Madori and she was adopted from a shelter-place like my boyfriend Muu (i came from a pet store)
anyways, mom and dad aren't sure what to do about bonding us...Muu and i are already bonded and our cage isn't big enough for 3 buns, not to mention, Madori is quite a bit bigger than us (she's an english spot, i'm a lion-head dwarf and Muu is a lionhead/mini-lop)...
mom and dad wonder if it would be possible to introduce the 3 of us for playtime only...not a complete live together bond thing? would we be able to get along just for playtimes? or should we just stay separate? mom and dad worry about territorial peeing issues and crazy dominance behavior (Muu and i had a 'humping war' the other day cuz Madori hopped by our cage accidentally)
what should mom and dad do??
also...we come from a big family of critters, so Madori can't have a bond-mate just yet...not for a few years, if ever. she seems content living alone...but mom still worries.
any advice would be great! thanks!

So sorry that we missed this post Kaiah.
it isn't easy to bond a threesome but some persistent and patient people have done it. i tried to bond a male with a bonded pair and he ended up being the odd man out and was an unhappy little dude.
if the new female is not spayed she should be spayed and fully recovered before you attempt any intros.
it is best to keep her in the same room as the other 2 but separated so they all can get used to each other. it is easier to bond 2 females and a male than vice versa.

Get her altered, read all you can about bonding and then decide if you want to proceed.

Playtime at this point would probably not be playful.

here some of our library articles

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17
keep us up-dated
Maureen

This may be a silly question, but are the boys neutered? Because of course if they aren't, then they shouldn't be introduced to an unspayed doe at all, until she is spayed, anyway. Once everyone if fixed, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be introduced. Just be prepared in case they argue.

oh yes, everyone has been spayed and neutered...we had Raeka spayed ourselves and Muu came from a shelter and was already neutered. the new girl, Madori, also came from a shelter and was previously spayed, so no worries there. ^_^

Ok, that's good. I had my facts mixed up I guess, LOL. Yeah, I don't see any reason why you couldn't introduce them in a "neutral" room, a spot that the first two don't claim previous ownership.

Latest posts

Back