That's it Twigs is getting neutered!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apebull

Reaction score
Apologizing in advance for the long post. It's a vent with a question at the end.

He's done, it's over, I can't take anymore. I'm calling the vet in the morning and scheduling Twigs to get neutered. Twigs is a wonderful lil bun, but man does he LOVE to spray. And he only sprays my poor daughter which he loves to death. But give me a break. She had to change twice on Sunday morning before church and then once after we got home. Then this evening I was sitting next to her and got hit. Then after we both washed up he came back and sprayed us twice in less then a second. I'm not kidding he sprayed and then did a big hop and sprayed a super spray. All over the couch our legs and pjs. And it's like this all the time. He sprays her at least once a day. My husband thinks it's part of having an animal, but no I'm sorry. My daughter is getting to the point where she afraid every time Twigs comes by. And he's her pet!!!

I just hope and pray that it will stop this action. He's already 2 1/2 so it's not just teen age hormones. BUT prior to us getting him in April he was in a cage with not much interaction. He only got petted when my kids would go to my moms house and was never let out. Now he's a spoiled house bun who was trying to break out of the make shift inclosure we made after the "super spray". Once my daughter was put to bed we did let him back out.

Ok so the question is will he stop spraying after he's neutered??? And how long will it take??? Like I said he's 2 1/2 yrs old already. I'm going to ask the vet, but I'm not sure they will know the answer. They are a neutering clinic only. All they do is spay and neuter of dogs, cats and rabbits. (And yes they do a lot of rabbits so I do trust them.)

OK thanks for listening to the vent and answering my questions :biggrin2:

I got Harvey neutered as an adult. He was owned before me by a couple with small children, no other pets. So I doubt they had the same problems with him as I did. I had had much the same problem with Harvey. He loved my cats. He'd spray them and I'd have to wipe them down. And it only got worse haha I got him neutered a couple of months after I had him. About a year ago. No spray at all! And he was a bad sprayer. So hopefully you'll get the same results.

I've never had a sprayer, but from what I've read it takes roughly 8 weeks for the last traces of hormones to wear off once he's snipped. I've also read that it's pretty much garenteed to stop the spraying behaviors.

Good Luck! And hopefully your daughter and her pet can spend time together without her being afraid of getting sprayed!

I just got my boy neutered about 6 weeks ago. He was only 4 months, but it still took about 5 weeks for the spraying to stop. Occasionally he will spray, but I think it's coming to the end. It's been about 2 days since the last time. Just give it time, but I've heard usually males will calm down after a neuter.

Since he is 2 1/2, neutering might not totally stop the spraying. At this point, it can also be a learned behaviour as well as hormones. However, neutering should help and greatly reduce how much he sprays, but it might not eliminate it all together so he could still spray a bit. It could take a few weeks to a couple months before you really notice a big difference, it seems to vary from rabbit to rabbit.

Well I truely hope it helps him. I called and he is scheduled for next Friday Oct 5th.

I'm thinking it will stop him for stinking so bad :yuckand helphis litter box habits. Besides the spraying he's great with his pee, but he poops everywhere. Expecially around me daughter. If she's sitting on the floor he will leave a poop mine field all around her LOL. It's actually kind of funny. If she's not home then there is no poop anywhere. But if she is in the livingroom with him then its like a poop explosion goes off.

Apebull wrote:
Besides the spraying he's great with his pee, but he poops everywhere. Expecially around me daughter.  If she's sitting on the floor he will leave a poop mine field all around her LOL.  It's actually kind of funny.  If she's not home then there is no poop anywhere.  But if she is in the livingroom with him then its like a poop explosion goes off.

Lol, he's making sure you all know that's HIS girl. He must love her alot.... You'll get him neutered and he'll become this perfectly behaved bun and you'll wonder why you didn't do it ages ago :) Well, hopefully that's the outcome. It sure worked for my boy. He almost never poops outside his litterbox.

Gary was a big sprayer before his snip. He would coat Becky in pee. I would wipe her off and as soon as she was on the floor again he would do a run by spraying and get us both! Yuck!

From the day he came home it never happened again. He was 6 months, so it worked fast. Hopefully it will be quick for Twigs too.

Cookie was abt 20 months when he got neutered. (according to the info we got at the time we rescued him, but I think he was older) and he wasn't a big sprayer, we didn't realize in fact how much he was spraying until we cleaned up his area after his neuter! And WOW! There was TONS of urine stains! And within about 2weeks he became extremely proficient with his litter box! He NEVER has an accident :) so an older bun can def be helped with neutering :)

yeah, I just cleaned the walls of Panda's house last night. I didn't realise he was spraying at first because it is wood, so the pee stains blended in. Luckily I'm pretty sure that has stopped since the hormones have drained out over the past 6 weeks and he settled into the house.

Don't you just love scrubbing walls because they can pee 5 feet high? :p

once the berries are gone they are very good boys :)

I don't know if I prefer girls or boys, they both are great to me, but they all need to be fixed!

Wow5 feet high! That I didn't know but I know he can get you from across the room. Last night between the 2 attachs that got us he was next to the couch and sprayed. We saw it hit the speaker across the room. So gross and stinky. And we have wonderful carpet in the living room. So in about 8 weeks I going to have to rent a carpet cleaner. You can just see the stains in it.

He LOVES her :laugh:

I only laugh because I know your pain. Every a.m. after my daughter was dressed 5 minutes before time to get on the bus and BAM right in her face. Sometime she was unlucky enough to get it in her eye or mouth :disgust:. Since he got fixed he is a very well behaved boy and no more spraying.

Latest posts

Back