Thanksgiving Day Menus ???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm makin chicken because it's only me and my mom this year. I'm not a big turkey lover anyway, so I'm psyched I don't have to eat it.

I saw Sandra Lee give a couple of good tips if you screw up the bird:

1) If the bird doesn't turn a nice golden brown, you can melt some butter with some brown sugar, brush a coat of it onto the bird and cook it a few minutes. The bird will brown beautifully.

2) If the turkey is dry, cut some up, put it on a plate, drizzle chicken broth over it and then pop it in the oven for 5 minutes.

MrsD and the kids are going out to Long Island for Turkey Day.
I prefer to stay home (someone has to walk the dog, too).
They cook up all kinds of stuff, but I like a plain ol' traditional dinner.....and I hate driving in traffic.
I like to by a bunch of "noshes" and eat whenever the mood strikes.
I hope "March of the Wooden Soldiers" will be on, too!

I cook up dinner on Friday!!

We buy just a turkey breast instead of the whole turkey.
In the bottom of the roasting pan I put seasoned potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, peppers, etc.....they roast up while the turkey cooks on top of them.
Green bean casserole....with the crunchy onions on top.
Sweet potatoes with the little marshmallows on top.
And anything else that happens to be in the fridge and/or pantry :biggrin2:

I am clueless 'cause my husband is doing all the cooking. He is getting a local turkey from a neighboring farm tomorrow.They also sell their homemade turkey stock. He is grocery shopping today for the final items he needs. He'll cook up some winter squash we grew - sliced in half, roasted in the oven, addchunky cutgranny smith apples to the centers about 1/2 hour before the squashesare done. Not sure what else he has planned.

The only effort I am making is to cook either a sweet potato souffle from an old Jeff Smith recipe or to make Chef Paul Prudhomme's candied yams (a pound of butter, oranges, lemons, brown sugar, spices, etc - cholesterol overload!). Oh, and I'll set the table.

Ummm Ummm Ummm...you folks sure know how to eat!

Seniorcats - you lucky dog having your husband doing the cooking! The yams sound great! Jim, so glad you mentioned the crunchy onions on the green beans - I forgot about that but will take your note and use it.:bunnydance:

JimD wrote:
JimD wrote:
:bunnydance:It's on Thursday morning at 9am (channel 11 WPIX by me) :biggrin2:
You SOOOOOOOOOOOO Rock!!!! :elvis2::big kiss:Thank You!!!

That is, by far, my FAVORITE Holiday movie!!

Carolyn wrote:
JimD wrote:
JimD wrote:
:bunnydance:It's on Thursday morning at 9am (channel 11 WPIX by me) :biggrin2:
You SOOOOOOOOOOOO Rock!!!! :elvis2::big kiss:Thank You!!!

That is, by far, my FAVORITE Holiday movie!!

'welcome !!

Miracle on 34th Street (the orig) is on at 2pm I think.

And it looks like Ghost Hunters will be on all day!:D

I think I'm going to try and make some deep fried mac and cheese tomorrow.

Just got back from running errands.

I got to listen to Alice's Restaurant on the radio....they play it every year at noon on Thanksgiving!

GOT VEGGIES !!! Onions, potatoes, peppers, carrots, green beans, garlic, shallots, ginger, fresh Italian bread.....I love the Farmers Market!

Just a matter of time before we've got sausage, peppers & onions.....spaghetti....and garlic bread!!

I'll have enough for a small army.....and I'm by myself today. Anyone in the area is welcome to stop by!! You can help me clean litter pans after dinner :biggrin2:

JimD wrote:
Miracle on 34th Street (the orig) is on at 2pm I think.

The part was just on where Kris blows a bubble-gum bubble... and it pops in his beard.

:laugh:

I thinks it's time to start getting stuff ready for dinner!!......oh yeah!!:cooking:

I've already eaten now

But I had

Turkey, Corn, Mashed Potatoes, Cranberry sauce, green beans, roll, pumpkin pie, and chocolate tort cake or something.

There was other stuff, but that's all I had.

JimD I wanna try some deep fried mac and cheese!!! And I still haven't tried deep fried turkey...or deep fried ice cream!

I'm heading over to the parentals in a while..boyfriend is too busy playing WoW to leave just yet xD He's lucky I'm not hungry right now!

JimD wrote:
MrsD and the kids are going out to Long Island for Turkey Day.

Jim is that in New York?....i was listning to the radio this morning and they were saying that there is like a big turkey festival or something going on in New York

just curious

Awww Jim,MrsD and kids would have been welcome to stop here while on their trip through Long Island!

We had turkey (27 lbs!), stuffing, honey glazed carrots with cranberry, mixed beans, Fresh Cranberry Sauce, tossed salad (I LOVE salads!), home made apple pie, home made pumpkin pie (made from cheese pumpkins!). And a lovely after dinner aperitif...

My sister in law made the turkey and it's the first time in 16 years thatI didn't have to "do" the turkey!

(Oh yeah, and my sister in law made this weird pear and cranberry dessert from Martha Stewart... I was polite and atea little bit... not sure what she soaked the fruit in, but it was.... weird....)

The best part was getting together with family.

I just finished stuffing my face... we had:

Chicken, homegrown, from this year's fair batch

Fried rice

Yams

Hot & sour soup

Cranberry sauce, home canned

Pumpkin pudding, from last year's pumpkin crop

and...

WHIPPED CREAM! ...of which I ate about the same amount as everything else on the menu :biggrin2:

Happy turkey day!

:eats:

YUM!!

We had...2different turkeys, the most AMAZING mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry jello-ish type mold, crescents, green been casserole variation, red cabbage, gravy (I LOVE gravy haha), pumpkin roll, and coffee flavored chocolate cake with whipped cream.

:biggrin2:

Back