Thanks to members.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindyS

Reaction score
I did some research and found out the pine and cedar were bad for animals and I think its wrong for them to sell it. They even make rabbits hutches out of it. I had a lady trying to sell me nestbox's out of cedar!!! WTH!!!

Anyway I found some natural, oil free aspen chips. I read that is a safer alternative to cedar and pine so im switching this morning.

I see if it's oil or scent free then it's safe. I don't know. I'm reading the back of bags and it says safe for pets who may have respiratory or other sensitivities. This is the aspen bag. Maybe when they said unsafe pine chips and cedar it was talking about the oils they spray on the wood. The pine pellets are safe from why I read. I guess it depends on how it's prepared.

i recently switched from yesterdays news to pine pellete and my rabbits hate it for some reason. any idea why? they have stopped using litterbox since i switched over :X
i was thinking about mixing old and new and slowly building up to just the pine. any thoughts? why would they hate the pine litter? who'd a thunk those rascally rabbits would know the difference or even care!

Aspen got all in my microfiber cleaning clothes and ruined them, it made me cranky. It also stunk and was all over the place.

jujub793 wrote:
i recently switched from yesterdays news to pine pellete and my rabbits hate it for some reason. any idea why? they have stopped using litterbox since i switched over :X
i was thinking about mixing old and new and slowly building up to just the pine. any thoughts? why would they hate the pine litter? who'd a thunk those rascally rabbits would know the difference or even care!
I'm having this same issue with my rabbit right now except he has already been using wood pellets for a while now. I opened a new bag last weekend and cleaned out his litter and ever since he has stopped using his litter box. I think its because the new pellets smell strongly of wood. Eventually they air out and don't smell too much anymore so I'm airing out the whole bag in a big rubbermaid container hoping that helps. Gimpy is so finicky. I guess he wants his litter to smell a certain way.

It also took him a while to get used to the pellets originally. He did the same thing, stopped using his litter. I then started mixing his old litter(YDN) with a little bit of pellets and eventually switched him over. Just make sure the pellets are aired out a bit so they aren't to smelly.

A few comments on points raised by earlier posts:

I've used aspen chips for many years, first with Scone and now with Natasha. Except for one bag I got which was large chunks, it's generally small soft shavings and the buns like it. That one bad bag was enough to throw Scone's litter habits out, but he came right back when I found softer stuff by another manufacturer.

There isn't a problem of odor with aspen chips if you line the bottom of the litterbox with a thick layer of newspaper. Aspen itself isn't particularly absorbent, but the urine runs through it and soaks into the paper. The Aspen keeps the smell down, and the paper takes care of the liquid. No problems.

The reason aspen (a hardwood, a/k/a deciduous tree) is good for litter and ordinary pine and cedar (both softwood, a/k/a conifers) aren't is not anything added to them, but rather the natural oils and aromatic chemicals which are present in the wood (phenols). These chemicals are volatile (that's why cedar smells good to us), and the buns inhale them. That can cause systemic problems. Hardwoods lack the volatile oils, so they're safe to use untreated. Heat treating softwoods drives out the phenols, and the resulting wood becomes safe - that's why kiln-dried pine and pine pellets are OK to use.

Latest posts

Back