Territorial behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eve

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if it is normal for a rabbit to be territorial towards people and not just other rabbits.

Today I had 2 uni friends over at my house to work on a group project,and my male bun Rodney was constantly emitting the most awful rottengarlic type smell. He does this occasionally, but never to this extent.He was also running around and madly chinning everything in sight,including my friends shoes.

Was he unhappy with me inviting other humans into 'his' room? I justfound this a bit strange, as henever seemed to mind mebringing my other bun Layla into hisroom.

I hope this doesn't mean I can'tinvite any friends into myroom without him scaring them off with his awful smells.:ponder:

Yup, they can be territorial topeople! It's also possible your friends smelled funny to him,especially if they smoke or have pets. I don't think it wouldbe a big problem though. Actually, if you have people overmore often he might get used to it.

Thanks Naturestee! :)

I had no idea rabbits could be territorial towards new people in myroom. I hope Rodney gets used to it, or everyone I invite over willthink I have a really smelly room.

Iremember somebody here had a rabbitwho kept attackingher boyfriendwhen they weresnuggling on the couch or in bed.

Both Pipp and Dill, who are the bunnies closest to me, areextremelyterritorial, and it doesn't seem to have anything todo with who they are or what they smell like, it's how much interactionthey have with me. IfI pet a cat in front of Pipp,that cat is dead meat.She getsthis weirdlook in her eye andjustmakes a beeline for them andshe's intent on doingdamage -- which she can do.All two pounds of her.

Pipp wasn't bad withDave, my roommate, because I didn't pethim in front of her. He'd come into the room and interactwith her, and not me.

When I tried to introduce Pipp and Dill, I realized I did it wrong -- Iwas holding Dill, my roommate was holding Pipp. It shouldhave been the other way around. Her seeing me with anotherbunny sent her off the deep end.

Now she knows there's another bunny (or four) living beyond 'our' room,but she's in denial. But when I go to leave,shegrunts and bites my feet.At first I thought it was'have yougota treat?' But she did it evenifshe had a treat -- she'ddrop it and come after myfeet when I went to climb over the baby gate. She doesn'twant me going out of the room because that's where Dillis.

Dill doesn't attack, but he doesn't look happy when I'm petting ortouching a cat or a human, and will come up and look upset.

So yes, they can beVERY territorial. :mad:

sas and the gang

Pipp wrote:
IfI pet a cat in front of Pipp, that catis dead meat.She getsthis weird look inher eye andjustmakes a beeline for them and she'sintent on doingdamage -- which she can do. All twopounds of her.
Pipp sounds like she has a very big personality. I had thefunniest mental image of her when I read that. :lol:She mustlove you very much to be so jealous when you give anyone else yourattention. What a cutie.

Rodney gets very jealous when I pet Layla infront of him, and he runs up and forces his head under my hand and away from hers.

Eve wrote:
Rodney gets very jealous when I pet Layla infront of him,and he runs up and forces his head under my hand and away from hers.
Mocha and Loki do this, but don't force my hand away from theother. Can you work it so that you pet them both atonce? That was actually how I got them to bond. Iwould pet Loki and Mocha would snuggle up to him so I would pet hertoo. Eventually they started lying down with their nosesalongside each other so I could pet them both with one hand.It might help Rodney learn that he can get attention from both hisgirls at once.

Thanks Naturestee . That's areallyawesome idea, I will definately make a point of havingjoined petting sessions for the both of them. In fact, I will go try itright now :). Thank you for the help!

Thank you for the suggestion, petting them bothat the same time is working wonders! They both settle down and snuggleup next to eachother, it's wonderful! :)

Latest posts

Back