terrible father

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
my ____ dad has decided that his ___ floor ismore important than my baby bunny. so he's decided, while Ivory isdownstairs due to renovations, he has to sit on a drape cloth so hisurine wont fly out of his cage onto the floor. which is fine. butivory's being a pest and has decided to pull all the *plastic* clothsinto the cage and chew on them. i assume he's already eaten some, and i*know* plastic doesnt digest. but my ___ dad has decided that he doesntcare. ive told him ivory needs something else, and he has yet to figuresomething out. he just comes in, and tells me ivory has plastic in hiscage. he *could* be a *good* father and clean it out for me, but hedoesnt care that much. so im taking matters into my own hands, forivory's sake. any suggestions as to what i can do to help my baby?

Could you get a piece of vinyl flooring? Sometimes they have cheap ones at lowe's, menards, etc.

Doesn't Ivory have a litterbox?

When our Benji was spraying all over the place wehad to figure a way to keep him from marking everything within 5-6 feetfrom his cage.

I considered plastic sheeting, but had the same concern with himpulling it into his cage and eating it. Megan's idea of a piece of rugover the plastic is a good solution. I actually used to put pieces ofold rugs on top of the carpet all around the bunnie room.

We installed urine guards. That helped, but not completely. He soonfigured out how to spray under and over the guards. It seemed that hewas at his worst when he was left unattended. I think maybe he was justbored. After we got him neutered, his litter habits improveddramatically.

You might try using several tops from large rubbermaid containers. Putone under the cage and then one on each side. If they are big enoughthere should be enough space between the cage and the tops to keep thebun from chewing on them. Maybe some duct tape to hold them together.After all...this is just a temporary thing, right.

Jim

Good suggestions given! Would be careful of carpet though because itholds bacteria, if ingested it could cause a block that would beimpossible to fix unless to do surgery, and the fibers can puncture theintestinal wall. Besides, it holds smells and that won't go over well.

I have wooden floors. Just under and around my cages, I use maskingtape and tape down large garbage bags. On top of that, I put downnewspaper so that if a rabbit decides to soil it, I can lift thenewspaper and most of the time, I can just wipe down the plastic bag. Ichange the bags once a week.

I don't have a problem with my floor, or smells, or worrying about my rabbits pulling the plastic into the cages.

You're right, dreamgal, if Ivory ingests the plastic, she could get into some serious health trouble.

-Carolyn

I agree with Bunnylover, I think a urine guard would help.

:dude:Diamond:dude:

What about the plastic down first and one of thegrass mats everyone talks about on top of that? that way if it getspulled in and chewed, then it's ok.

One last note, dreamgal.

As far as saying that your father could clean it up for you, that's notfair. Ivory's your pet, therefore, your sole responsibility. As youknow, your father wouldn't've gotten a rabbit if it hadn't been for you.

You can come up with solutions that will accomodate your dad's needsand Ivory's needs. It may take an extra chore or two, but you can do it.

You have to work with your father, not against him.

Love,
-Carolyn

you're right. i really should be nicer to the manwho ruined my life :p i shouldnt expect him to help me with my rabbitsince he expects me to be nice to his girlfriend, who i hate. i shouldbe nicer to the man who leaves me alone every other weekend to be withhis girlfriend. i should be nicer to the man who keeps me up till 2amwithout telling me where he is, or without answering his frickin cellphone! agg **** it forget it

Dear Dreamgal042,

I am merely speaking of the issue you posted about.

The problem was Ivory is making a mess and spraying. My response wasonly speaking to that situation. Ivory is your responsibility and ifshe's ruining things in the house, you have to prevent that.

As to your last note, you're biting off much more than I can chew.

I certainly would never intentionally hurt you, dreamgal042. I trulywish and pray for your happiness and for Ivory to live a long, healthy,happy life with you.

-Carolyn

sorry for the outburst. ive been having a really tough time, and i take it out on the wrong person/people.

thank you all for your advice, ill be sure to try some of that :)

Dearest dreamgal042,

I do care for your and Ivory's well being.

Believe me, honey, I'm not trying to work against you.

Love,
-Carolyn

dreamgal042 wrote:
sorry for the outburst. ive been having a really tough time,and i take it out on the wrong person/people.

thank you all for your advice, ill be sure to try some of that :)
Aplology accepted.

I realize how frustrating it can be. I've been labeled the "terriblefather" on more that one occasion. We all have our bad times and allhave issues that seem more important that anybody elses. Give himanother chance. Maybe if you tell him of some of the ideas he'llrealize that you are serious about your responsibility. You might evencoax him into helping you ;).

Jim

Ok here's my opinions. Maybe it's not that your dad doesn't care, but that he doesn't understand.

My parents sure don't understand the love for an animal, that wasobvious after I was told I was being silly for crying over a horse Iused to ride before he passed away.

On one hand, my dad is a bit more understanding and if I ask forsomething, he usually helps me. But I do think it might be unfair tosay he doesn't care.

Latest posts

Back