Temperature Differences

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippen

Reaction score
I am wondering what temperature differences a bunny can safely/comfortably handle?

My daughter's Tinkerbell was moved into the garage a few weeks ago when the nights started getting cold.There'sa lot ofpeople traffic through there so she's getting company but wedon't have a good situation for her to stretch and play inside (allergies, large aggressive cat). We can let her run around in the garage but what she *really* loves is the run I made for her outside.

Our garage isgenerally around 50 degrees in the winter unless it gets really cold.

If that was me,I would probably find a way for her to run outside, if it was REALLy impossible inside. but then I don't know how cold it is outside, or how the different temperatures compare.You could give her something like a covered cat litter tray, ora small hutch to go in if she gets cold. If you do put her out, only put her out in the peak of day for a couple of hours. If she is a very active bunny then she will probably be better off going outside and inside than a bunny who is more laid back and doesn't move about so much.

I took Wash out in the snow the other day when is was 35-37 F, He seemed to do fine since it was only for a short time. I think it would be just fine to take her outside to let her play if you're comfortable with it.

Thanks for the info. I'm just trying on warmer days to see how she does. We found out she doesn't like wet ground beneath her and is happier with exercise in the garage than no exercise at all.

We have a little snow today and I'm going to give her a go at that.Tinkerbell loves, loves,LOVES pushing around leaves so we'll see what she thinks of this.

Rabbits can handle colder temps better than warmer.
Be especially careful when bringing a bun into a warm house after they've been out in the cold.

From the Animal Welfare Institute:

"The domestic rabbit does not naturally thrive in prolonged cold and heat. An ideal temperature range for rabbits is between 47°F and 64°F. Rabbits should not be exposed to temperatures below 45°F or temperatures higher than 85°F. Rabbits subjected to temperatures above 85°F risk heat exhaustion with possible fatal results. Heat can be supplemented during cold weather. Fans and air conditioning should be provided when the temperature is 85°F or higher. "

The garage has been right around45-50 degrees and she seems comfortable at that temp. Loads better than last summer when we were on constant fan and ice pack duty.

We took her to her outdoor run for about20 minutes yesterday and she was sooooo happy to be back out there. Biggest binkies ever! She wasted no time in plowing through the snow to get to her leaves and rearranged them to her liking. Someone was out to watch her the whole time and I dried her feet off before putting her back in her pen in the garage.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It's her "bestest place"--hopefully if we're cautious she can have some outdoor playtime when winter isn't its worst. Alas, we're supposed to get a dose of freezing rain next.

Pippen wrote:
We took her to her outdoor run for about20 minutes yesterday and she was sooooo happy to be back out there. Biggest binkies ever! She wasted no time in plowing through the snow to get to her leaves and rearranged them to her liking.

There something fantasmical 'bout buns in the snow!
:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back