Telling the age of a rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankz

Reaction score
Is there anyway to have a (not precise) good estimate? We got Sunny back in Around May-June (I'm sticking more with June as of now, my mom wrote it down on her 08 Calender, I'll take a look later if I can find it) of 2008. The guy we got her from said she was about 1 1/2 then. You figure a half a year is 6 months, so six more and she'd be born sometime in December, so at this point she's 2, past the 2 1/2 mark, and will be 3 in December, we just don't know a day. Do I have this right, LOL? I read a few places you can tell if a rabbit is older or younger by the veins in their ears, but I can barely see any in the front, and the backs are so covered in black fur I'd never know!

I think the only reliable method is if you were to date their teeth/bones. I have a bunny adopted from the animal shelter here and we don't have clue as to how old she is, so we just celebrate the day she came home with us :)

There's really no accurate way to tell through teeth or bones (there's no science available yet that could accurately determine a rabbit's age down toits age in years)- A young rabbit's teeth are very similar to an older rabbits teeth because the teeth grow continually. A very young rabbit's nails will be thinner and an older rabbit's are thicker.

We had a thread on this topic a couple years ago - I'm not sure if I can find it though.

Pam

As far as I'm concerned, if you adopt a full-grown bunny, you'll never know exactly how old it is.

Both of my buns were adopted when they were already grown so we also just celebrate their "gotcha days"

Latest posts

Back