Tell Me About Tans...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akkatia

Reaction score
I thier markets, how much ideal weight is, breeding difficulty, fur colors, etc... and if you can, give me a link! I just want to know. I'm thinking about adding them to my rabbitry. As far as I've heard, I think I'd like them. Unlike Dutch, I heard you can breed for marking improvement.

Thanks!

-Kiya-

I love judging Tans (we also used to breed all 4 colors), but they are a rather wild breed and can be difficult to handle. Some individuals are also prone to bite. Blacks or chocolates show the best, so are a nice color to start with. The Tans are rather easy breeders, but not much of a market for them as pets or 4-H because of the difficulty handling them.

In our region, finer bone has been a problem and some seniors are not making senior weight.

Once you get your standard, you can read up on the rest of the details on the breed.

Pam

my friend has 2 for pets. . .they aren't a rabbit for a breeder that doesn't want a lot of work. running breeds take more work because they are harder to handle (like pam said) and do nip. they have to be ran, and kept in good condition. but let me tell you when you see a lilac tan, your heart will stop. . .they are *awesome* looking rabbits ::drool::

running breeds are a lot of fun to have if you have the time and energy it takes to keep up with them. i raised rhinelanders which are a more mellow running breed (at least that is what i have heard). i raised hollands mostly when i got my rhines and what a difference it is between judging the 2! i had to be taught how to watch a rabbit run while looking for good and bad points in type. . .but what personalities (now, they aren't for everyone, they are independent and such) but if you can handle stubborn rabbits that just want to move, then they might work for you.

as far as market goes. . .well, there are a select group of pet owners that like the running breeds, but not many. . .it is important that as a breeder for a tan, or spot, or any breed that is known for being a little wild that you DON'T sell to certain families as 4-h and pets, all some pet owners see is a pretty rabbit, but a lot can't handle a runner. . .somecan, but i think when i bred rhines i only placed 4 in pets homes, and they were all adult familiesthat had owned rabbits before.

I was planning on starting out with black tans. I think they're beautiful rabbits. I like the fact that they're runners, too. But how do you excercise them? In the house? Every day? My rabbitry's kind of big, so how could I excerciseall of them?

You could set up several exercise pens for them, so you could let out multiple at a time (one per pen). Just make sure that you don't have any climbers and if it's out on the lawn, keep a close eye on them so they aren't attacked by anything.

I'm so in love with tans! I wish I could have one. :bunnyheart Their personality sounds fun to me!

I have thought about tans myself, I love the blacks and the lilacs the best. How often do they need to be excercised? Are their feeding needs any different?

They don't have to be worked with as much if you have large cages. Their feed requirements aren't any different, but they are the only breed I've had where it was not uncommon for the babies to get their legs caught in the 1 x 1/2 floor wire.

They are generally shown on the table in the following order: lilac, blue, chocolate, black

Pam

Yeah, I'm in love with blacks!!

I use 24x24x18 cages. Is that big enough? If not, I guess I'll have to make a pen. Our barn won't fit many other bigger cages. I don't think it'd be a problem. We have a dog kennel that I could probably let them run around in (without the dogs in, of coarse:)) I like standing up at the show table for a long time, too. I enjoy suspense!

The 24x24 cages are big enough for adult single Tans, but the cages are not large enough to allow enough exercise.

Pam

Would you have to put them in a pen to run every day, or just a couple times a week? I use the 24x24 cages for my Mini Rex, so that would be convienent to me. What is their Sr weight?

A couple times a week is fine. You don't want to overhandle them to the point where they are so docile that they won't run on the table.

Sr. weight is 4 - 5 1/2 pounds for bucks and 4 - 6 pounds for does.

Pam

What are the judges looking for when they run them on the table? Sorry for the twent questions, but this is fascinating!

The bulk of the points are on the markings, which are enhanced by a lustrous coat. The demarcation line is easier to evaluate when the rabbit is in motion and it also gives a better view of the chest marking. Judges are also watching how well the rabbit "tracks" as it runs.

Pam

as far as excercise, i had an 8 ft. 'table' about the width of a show run. . .as i cleaned cages, fed/water, bred rabbits, ect. my rhinelanders were out running on it, they each got turns different days. my "table" was a slab of wood that was on top of 2 stackers that were side by side and the same height, it had an outdoor carpet on it that i would hose down every once in a while to keep clean. . .it worked great for me as it was right there (no jumping rabbits) and my rhines loved it. . .one of my bucks would get out and run up and down, up and down it. . . the thing is that if they don't understand to run up and down it, they sometimes won't at a show (my friend with 2 pets tried to show one of them and poor harry refused to run at all. . .he was so spoiled that he just wanted to sit there and smell the judge). . .that is why you want them to remain a little wild. . .and you want them to understand that when set on a table they need to run it. . .

katie

So could I bring them in the house every once in a while and let them run around? I'd be afraid to let them run on a table without sides or something, wouldn't they fall off, or jump off? Right now I'm finding it hard to find a breeder around here with Tans!! I guess I'm going to have to wait until my next show to ask around.

Latest posts

Back