Teeth Trimming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiterBunny

Reaction score
Well, Bunny's runny nose has all but gone away, but I have noticed him grooming oddly. I made a post about overgrooming, but I came to realize that he was mostly just drooling all over himself and soaking his front feet, not actually chewing fur.

So, I took everything out of his cage and caught him with a towel (He is getting MUCH better about allowing me to handle him, but we're still not quite there.). I spent awhile manipulating his mouth and I've figured out that his teeth are overgrown. The bottom teeth press against the top of his top gums and are split like a V. His top teeth appear to be curling. He eats his veggies and pellets, but I've mentioned a few times his lack of interest in hay. I'm thinking now that he's unable to eat it.

I've booked him an appointment on monday (Soonest the bunny vet was in) to have his teeth filed.

I am wondering what to expect. With he be sore or uncomfortable? I have veggies and critical care I can give him. I can also pick up some baby food or mash his pellets.

How often do teeth trims need to be done? Every couple weeks? Monthly? Is it something I may eventually be able to do at home or should I take him in every time (I will do this if it's necessary! He just does not like the car.)?

Any advice appreciated!

Teeth trimming has not bothered any of my rabbits before. the vet usually only has to give them a quick sniff of anesthesia and it isn't painful for them. Sparky has to have a trim every 6-8 weeks.

I haven't run in this problem yet, but there are a lot of sites out there on how to do it yourself. It doesn't seem overly complicated, but I would definitely talk it over with your vet and have them show you the correct way. Good luck!!

Thanks guys, I'm glad to hear that it's more common to trim them every month and a half to two months rather than every other week or something. I'm going to ask the vet to show me how to trim, but if it's difficult, we'll just be going in.

Babbitty goes in every three weeks for a trim on his back teeth, they don't have to sedate him or anything, and he's always come back fine and dandy, eating no problem.

Buttercup and now our rescue Sparta also get regular trimming for their front teeth and again, never had a problem.

Teeth are trimmed! They're abit uneven but much shorter than they were! He goes back in in a month and a half for another trimming. Here's hoping it means he'll start eating hay and grooming normally.

Latest posts

Back