teeth trim?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halucinate

Reaction score
Okay, so this isnt about a personal rabbit. Im considering taking in a 1 year male, but i am unsure of the breed, its from a bunny rescue program. We'll i thought one was SO cute, had very tiny pointy ears.

Well, i inquired, and was told name, sex, approx age, and... was told he need biweekly tooth triming...

Maybe im just unfamiliar, with it, but what can this be caused by? if its something that will drain me financially im gonna have to say no, but i just wanna know any input any one may have :S

and how is it done exactly? by someone in the medical field? or on your own?
thanks for anything!

Biweekly? That is more than rare. Depending on whether it's incisors or molars, it may have to be done by a vet. I personally would never clip bunny teeth on my own, but it is not unheard of for owners to clip the incisors either with some kind of clipper (not a good idea--greater chance of cracking the tooth) or trimming them down with a rotary tool like a Dremel. The ability of the owner to do that on their own also depends on whether the rabbit will tolerate this or needs to be put under sedation. The back molars almost always have to be trimmed under sedation, although in rare cases some bunnies will let it be done without anesthesia. This should only be done by a vet. They go in with a rotary dental tool and grind down pointy parts on the molars. The most frequently I have seen this needed was monthly, and that was a bit excessive as well. If the vet isn't grinding them down enough, they may need more frequent trims.

It is not cheap--under anesthesia, which of course is risky every time, it will be $50-$150 each time.

Thanks for the response. I assumed, it would be a rough idea for me to partake in personnally. I just though the rabbit was the cutest thing ive ever seen :p

ahhhh ty Claire. I am waiting on a response, as to see if it is a condition, or which teeth. I will update you :)

Is this actually a condition or is it just something they told you to get done. If it's just something they told you to get it done then maybe you can just give it some wood and stuff to chew on to keep them trimmed down.

I really have no clue, i asked for the condition, and how they maintain it. Im waiting for a response, very odd indeed!

Are vet charges 14.00 to trim teeth. I have a 5 month old lionhead who was born with bad teeth. He has to get his done every 12-14 days.

Ahhh. Well the program responded, and told me he has a misaligned jaw :(

I want to take him in, cause hes so cute, but i may end up taking in a diffrent one. I am currently researching the condition as much as i can.

that is what my boy has. He is healthy in all other ways. Are vet has now showed us how to clip his teeth areselves. This problem will never go away but can get a little better as they grow.

The bunnies sometimes do better if the teeth are removed, although most vets will not remove healthy teeth.

Our vet did a clinic for our club and we inquired about dental work for back teeth. She quoted and estimate of $600.00 and then she said it would be another $200-$300 every 2-3 months there after for the rest of his life!
I thought that sounded quite expensive.

Ahhh see. Thing is, if i had more hours, or something... I WOULD DO IT. but my financial situation, has me turning the poor guy down :(

Love > Money , anyday of the year.

Teeth trimming is expensive. Luckily I only had to have Prince's teeth trimmed once, and that cost me $130 at the Avian and Exotics in Kirkland.

Best of luck to you.

Finances are a problem for everyone nowadays, but we all get through.

A bunny with known tooth problems should probably be classified as "special needs" and will need an owner with extra time and extra finances. Not everybody can do that. Bunnies can have such expensive health emergencies that taking on a bunny with known health problems is really setting yourself up for large vet bills. I wouldn't be able to take a tooth issue bunny right now, and in the past I have turned down a bunny due to tooth issues. Luckily, that bunny did find a great home where the owner had more spare time, experience with tooth issues, and a bit more flexibility in her budget, and she was very happy there.

Latest posts

Back