teeth problems and Malting in Winter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NarniWonk

Reaction score
Hi
I have a happy, bonded pair of mini lops called yiyun and ai (Chinese names, pronounced: Ewen and eye). Yiyun, the girl, is four years old and has recently had some teeth problems. Her bottom incisors were growing unevenly. I took her to an expert who cut the teeth down and found pus coming out from the gum, she was put on a course of antibiotics. The pus has basically stopped but the tooth that was affected is now as short as when it was cut with the other one growing normally and has become yellow on the top.
Now, also her coat is looking a bit weird, it's the middle of Winter and she's malting-none of my other rabbits are doing this?!
Sorry, I know that's quite a few issues to take in but any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank You!

Sorry I missed your post.

It sounds like the tooth may be diseased. Did your vet take xrays at all? Did you ask your vet about the yellowing and uneven teeth?

I'm not sure about the molting. Is your rabbit an indoor rabbit? Maybe it could have something to do with her being on medications. Is she spayed? If not, could she be having a false pregnancy and pulling fur to make a nest? A rough coat can sometimes be an indication of parasites. Can you have your vet do a fecal test to check for that? Or fur loss can sometimes be mites. Is her skin sore or flaking, is she scratching a lot?

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html

Last edited:
That's alright!
I took her again to my vet and she has taken her off the antibiotics. We are going to leave the tooth alone for a while so as not to aggravate as I was squeezing the pus out daily but she thinks this could have been adding to the issue.
We think that the teeth is a result of old age-I know that sounds odd given she's only four but I rescued her off a commercial breeder when she was three and at that stage she was not in great health. The yellowness has reduced around the top but the teeth are still uneven.
Her gums are a perfect colour so It could just be there's some hay or splinter causing a problem. She is eating fine, drinking normally and her mood and behaviour is normal.
She has had problems with hay mites before so I might check that out again. She is not spayed but I know her when she is having a phantom pregnancy and I am pretty sure this isn't one.
Anyway thank you for your reply and I am bringing her back in a few weeks so will bare in mind all your suggestions THANK YOU!!

Latest posts

Back