Teeth malloclusion?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superchar42

Reaction score
Okay, so maybe a month ago, my bun Nuge got in a fight (and got his little bun kicked) but he bit the other bun and lost a tooth!
I figured he'd be fine because I knew that bunny teeth grew back like finger nails. But I looked at them the other day and they're not looking so good. The right incisor is the healthy one, and the left has gone behind it and his gums appear all swollen and this is (what I assume) responsible for his change in attitude, as well.
Here are pictures:
b08e.jpg

4e73.jpg

12d6.jpg

b38f.jpg

It's hard to tell from the photos, but if you suspect infection, the vet will need to take a look at it and possibly start the rabbit on antibiotics.

Pam

:yeahthat

The vet might also recommend having the incisor (and it's mate on the the bottom) removed, or recommend regular trimming. Do you have a good rabbit-savvy vet?

She's new, just out of college, but she has four buns, one she's had for ten years, so she's very familiar with rabbits. If there was anything like an extraction done though, the top vet there (who also has rabbits) would either do it or be supervising (she has to get her experience somehow!)...

So a definite vet trip is on hand then? Should it be immediate? He's eating and drinking the same amount as usual, just a lot slower is all.

If he's eating you don't need to make an emergency trip, although you should definately take him in soon. Unfortunately there's not much you can do from home because the swelling might mean an infection.

superchar42 wrote:
So a definite vet trip is on hand then? Should it be immediate? He'seating and drinking the same amount as usual, just a lot slower is all.

Since there has been a change in attitude, and you describe possibleinfection of the gum -- Yes, I would advise a trip to thevet.

Pam

Latest posts

Back