Teeth Issues- Overgrown Bottom Incisors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InternationalBunnies

Reaction score
Hi everyone. So I live abroad in a city where there are no rabbit-savvy vets and rabbits aren't really kept as pets here... But I just got back from the U.S. To find out that one of my rabbit's two bottom incisors are overgrown and sticking out of his mouth, causing him to not be able to eat. Should I take him to the reputable vet (for cats and dogs) and see if she can trim them down? Should I try and do it myself? Or is there another option? I just need advice and need to act on this quick because he has not been eating.

Has the reputable dog/cat vet ever trimmed bunny teeth before?
If they have I would give them a go. Or is there a local bunny rescue society or humane society that has a Vet Technician that has done it before?
having somebody else who has done it before is a lot safer then doing it yourself if you have never done it.
Personally I would have the dog/cat vet do it.

No, she has never treated a rabbit at all, which is why I am a bit hesitant. And there are no rescues or humane societies around... I'm in a developing city of China, which is a bit behind on animal welfare.

I think they need to sedate the bun to use the dremel??? I'm sure someone else would be able to elaborate/correct me. If I'm thinking correctly I'm not sure how I'd feel about that with a vet who hasn't treated rabbits.
My vet trims teeth for my one rabbit with a minor mallocussion, I've never had problems but she sees lots of rabbits so she does it often.

Back