Teeth Grinding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beccashell

Reaction score
Cuddles my daughters lionhead spends all dayout of his cage in my sewing room,so I have been spending alot of time with him. Today when I was petting him he started to grind his teeth. I was just wondering is that good or bad??? Hes not shy at all, he comes running or I should say hopping when ever you call him. Thanks

:inlove:A w w ww w...That's a bunny purr. He's a happy little bunny and he loves you. :adorable:

sas :biggrin2:

It's a good thing!! It means the bunny is happy or content. It's called tooth purring!!

It's so cute when they do that! i love it!! :inlove:

Yep, thats good!

But, if you here a loud gashing, that means he is in severe pain. Don't worry, you will know the difference right away between the purr and pain when you hear it :(.

But congrats on getting your first tooth purr, you have a very happy bunny bun!

I love the tooth purrs, I get them from Ben when I rub his ears just right. Usually with the tooth purrs bunny has eyes half closed and a look of total bliss on his/her face.

I was reading this thread and I never knew rabbits purred/grinded their teeth like that out of happiness! that is great!

I have a question, is it just a noise of grinding teeth? or when you pet their head can you feel the vibration? I was picking out a new bunny for myself and my family and I felt a vibration on this lionhead (ironically) head i was petting.

Tokiedokie wrote:
I was reading this thread and I never knew rabbits purred/grinded their teeth like that out of happiness! that is great!

I have a question, is it just a noise of grinding teeth? or when you pet their head can you feel the vibration? I was picking out a new bunny for myself and my family and I felt a vibration on this lionhead (ironically) head i was petting.

It depends on the bun, like you say, a Lionhead, a smaller bun, smaller head. So, yes, you would feel that before you'd feel it on a bigger bun. I had a minirex who grinded when I would pet her, or talk to her for that matter:), but yeah, you can feel it on their head if it's a smaller bun, depending on the agression of the grinding. If it's just barely, you most likely won't be able to feel it through the fur.;) You might be able to feel it through the grinding though, if you are used to the movements of the jaw;).

thanks for the information angelnsnuffy :] that does make sense about them having smaller heads and the vibration. that is pretty cute :]

Tokiedokie wrote:
thanks for the information angelnsnuffy :] that does make sense about them having smaller heads and the vibration. that is pretty cute :]

Yep, you're welcome! Some buns do it, some don't. The size of the bun can come into play as we've noticed in our dicussion here;). So, definitely take note, if the grinding becomes a bit louder at anytime and your bun might be acting off, time for a vet visit.;)

Latest posts

Back