Teeth Concern

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiddlesKenway

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've had rabbits for years and have bred them for half that time and never encountered any teeth issues in any of my rabbits so I'm not entirely sure if what I'm looking at is an issue of some sort.

Anyway my eldest rabbit is four years old and his top incisors appear longer than they should be, they aren't a ridiculous length or anything. His chin is a tad wet and discoloured.

Here is a picture, sorry it was the best I could get, he kept tossing his head up and chucking a paddy at me. His bottom teeth are perfectly fine my concern is his back teeth may be spurring and causing drool.
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396067083.256874.jpg

They look lined up properly, though the top ones could possible be a tad long, but nothing that some good apple branches, chew blocks, or hay cubes can't help.

The more concerning thing is the wet spot. If he drinks from a water dish, that's a possibility. But if you rule that out, then it would be from drooling, and this would likely be due to possible molar spurs.

He has endless supply of hay and he has pellets mixed with different types of chaff.

He doesn't have much to chew although but the vet told me all they need to keep teeth worn down is simply hay. He did get a pellet cube every two weeks but it was just much too unhealthy for him and he was getting a tad on the pudgy side. I'll be looking outside for a nice big stick for him to chew on but we don't have as many just laying around since we cut our tree down a few years ago. Used to always have one in the cages for the pigs and buns. Maybe that's why I've never encountered teeth issues in either. I'll give him the pellet cube for now as I have two in the cupboard and when I get the chance to get to the pet shop I'll buy him some wooden bird toys. I usually give them toast too as it's good for their teeth. It probably is spurs as he uses a bottle but the drooling could be due to the slight extra length in his top incisors maybe?

They look 'okay' only a tiny bit long and if they're not in discomfort no need of the vet... As long as you provide your bun with chew toys and hay (which you do of course) and solid vegetable their never stop growing teeth should wear down.

I've just given him some celery leaves a bit of kale and some toast and I'm going to go pick him some grass which is what he probably needs more than the leafy greens I've given him. Might switch out his chaff pellet mix for straight chaff too as it's essentially just hay bits. Would a shoe box be okay for him to nibble on until I get the chance to search the yard for a big stick? :D Its really wet and windy today is all!

A cardboard shoe box is good as long as labels, plastic tags etc. have been removed... For extra fun holes can be cut and stuffed with hay for hours of fun😋

It's all cardboard all labelling is ink. I'll give him it now and see what happens. One of my does had it in her cage and she HATED it, I don't think I've seen a crankier rabbit!

Cardboard boxes are fine if all they do is shred them up. You just don't want to used the ones with glossy paper, as they have plastic added to them. If your bun chews and eats more than a few nibbles, then it might not be the best thing, as too much ingested paper and cardboard can possibly lead to digestive impactions.

Though eating pellets, veggies, and hay does cause adequate tooth wear for most buns, some buns with special tooth problems may need a little additional help with different things to aid in tooth wear. Honestly your buns incisors aren't bad at all, and the front teeth are probably just fine. But if you want to add things in to help with keeping them worn down, you want to use things that your bun will specifically have to use his incisors for. Incisors are used for chopping and cutting up things. They will use them somewhat for grabbing and chopping up their pellets, veggies, and hay, but the things that buns use their incisors most for are stripping the bark off of apple branches and certain other woods, chewing on larger pieces of wood, hard dried pine cones, and also with hay blocks to chew the pieces off. So these are the types of things that would help with incisor wear.

You don't want to just use any odd stick in the yard, as some wood isn't safe for rabbits. You need to make sure you are using a rabbit safe wood and something that is clean and doesn't have mold, moss, or plant rust, and hasn't been sprayed with pesticides. Apple and willow are probably the most common ones used. You can also use the wood block bird toys as long as they aren't the ones with string and rope, as you don't want your bun chewing and ingesting those. You can also use plain pine blocks that have been thoroughly dried. I buy 1x2's at the hardware store and chop them up for my buns to chew on if they want.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Branch/Branch_en.htm

If you were using alfalfa hay blocks, that may be why your bun gained some weight on them. If you can find ones that are just plain timothy, then it would be better to use, as alfalfa will have too much protein and calcium for most buns. Using a timothy cube isn't much different than giving your bun timothy hay, just doesn't have the long stems that loose hay has and which is generally considered the best for buns. It's just timothy chopped and compressed into a cube. So though cubes shouldn't replace loose hay in your rabbits diet, they can be a good addition to the diet for buns that like to chew on them.

The incisors wouldn't be likely to cause any drooling. It's more likely to be due to molar spurs, though there are other conditions that can cause drooling as well.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/excessive_en.htm

Last edited:
I don't use alfalfa hay and my pellet mix has very small bits of alfalfa pellets it's barely noticeable the rest is Timothy chaff and Oaten chaff and lucerne pellets. I use meadow hay cut from my grandad's properties, all my herbivores get it, my horse adores it. And the reasoning for the weight gain is the sugar level in the glue used to hold the pellets together.

My local petshop is soon to be getting Oxbow products and I will be upgrading to them as I'm just not happy with the brand I currently have but it's unfortunately all they sell here that is excessively mixed with seeds I don't mind a few in my big mix as long as that over 80% is pellets and chaff. I do think that my buns have a bit too much fibre in their diet but I honestly don't have an option pellet wise and it's just a matter of trying to balance it out.

Well he's eating normally anyway so clearly nothing is bugging him, since he's my oldest I keep my eye on him the most. His chin isn't constantly wet so I'm thinking it might simply be from drinking from the bottle the tip isn't thin and it is squirty so it could be that. I'll have to keep an eye on him and will phone the vet about it later as it's 5:30 in the morning! :D

Latest posts

Back