Teeny Tiny baby bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora369

Reaction score
A couple days ago I got a foster bun with 5 babies from a local shelter. And then today, Small Animal Rescue contacted me because some one had found a baby bunny, and as I had the youngest babies, would I take it in?

This little guy is so tiny. He's about half of the size of any baby I've ever seen.

BB3.jpg

BB2.jpg

BB1.jpg

He's had a little feed. I let him eat his fill when I got home with him, and he's now in the nest with the other babies.

One of the problems is that the other babies are 13 days old, and now exploring outside the nest. I'm worried this little guy is going to get cold, and die of exposure when the other babies are gone.

Any one have any advice?

Thanks
--Dawn

PS: Good thoughts and prayers for this little guy!

hot water bottle? a heating pad set on low?

It is hard to imagine something being that little. God bless you for taking care of him.

Is he a wild rabbit? Or a domestic? I bottle fed a wild baby once. It was amazing to see it's eyes open! We kept him in a cardboard box with a heating pad set on low under the box. It kept him pretty warm and comfy.

Here are two pics of him.... a day or two before release.

Feb32005065.jpg

BunnyFooFooOutside.jpg

Aww...cute!! I have no idea...you might try asking this in the Rabbitry section. They handle little babies all the time. :)

Update on the little one. He had a major pig out last night, his little belly was so full that you can see the outline of his stomach which is now full of milk. I've been trying to stimulate the little guy to go to the bathroom after eating, but that hasn't been working. He squirms and doesn't seem to like it. He is going potty, but it's getting stuck around his bottom because he's doing it when no one is there to clean him up.

I set him up in a shoebox on top of a heating pad. He seems to really like the set up. He snuggles right down to the bottom of the hay to lay right on top of the heat.

I'll try to get more pictures when I get home from work today.

Keep up the positive thoughts! So far he's doing well.

--Dawn

So far, so good! :clover: Great job, Dawn. :)

Any idea of the story? How/where was it found?

It looks normal and not like a peanut? I've never had baby bunnies.

I sure hope he/she makes it.:pray:

sas et al

As far as I know, someone found the little one somewhere and couldn't locate the nest, so they dropped it off at a vet's clinic in Ladner. The vet's clinic then contacted SARS, who contacted me, who arranged a drop off at work yesterday.

I think he might be a little wild bunny, but we'll have to wait to see untill he's bigger.

He doesn't look like a peanut to me. He's not pinched in the rear, and his head/ears look normal.

It looks like he might be the runt from a very large litter. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I'll keep everyone updated on this little guy. He's looking like he might be starting to grow some fur on his head. Looks like very light fuzz right now.

--Dawn

Well the little guy decided he's not interested in eating. I let him nurse last night and this morning, but he's just rubbing his nose on the nipple and not latching on.So I don't know if he is a peanut and just genetically weak or if I should try to get him some kitten milk to pep him up a bit and try nursing again.

He now has a fine covering of fuzz, and his boo-boo's look much better.

He's so little that sometimes I can find him in the box! I had a big panic last night because I though he'd somehow got out of the box, but he had just wiggled himself deep into the hay.

--Dawn

Oooh nooo, I hope he eats. :pray:

(We don't have a consensus as to whether he's apeanut or not, do we?)

sas and the gang :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover:

I have no idea if he's a peanut or not. I've only ever seen one peanut, and that as a few years ago. But he seems to look like a normall baby, just a very small one, and his ears are a little on the big side if anything. I think he's a wild cotton tail runt from a big litter.

I really hope I can get this one to nurse. He's just too cute!

--Dawn

I had a peanut once last year in one of my litters and he was so tiny! I have a picture somewhere but after a few days he was still alive but you could see every bone in his body and he didn't nurse at all. It was horrible!

Sorry, sweetie. You gave it your best :hug2:

:bunnyangel:

Just so you know, I went through the same thing with a foster kitten.Like this babe, she was unnaturally small and not terribly interested in nursing (even though we had a willing surrogate momma). I think maybe something was wrong and that's why she was abandoned by her mom.She died less than 48 hours after we rescued her.

I was crushed. But I gained some peace from the knowledge that she died in a place where she was warm and safe and felt love. That is what's most important :pink iris:

It is sad, but I saw it coming when he lost interest in nursing.

But on the other hand I've still got six other foster babies and their mom.

Five belong the mom, and one is another surrogate. He was found in a water way, and he wheezes.

I just sent an e-mail to the rescue to see if we can get some antibiotics for this little guy. I don't know if it will ruin his gut flora to the point of being worse than not giving him anything at all.

You lose some and you save some when you attempt to rescue...

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back