Teary eyes

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Darojati

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I have female bunny, 2.5years, her name is Pochi. She has been having teary eye on her left eye since August’21, also similar time when we adopted another male bunny, named Bubu (which turned to have scabies/fungal/syphilis problem). I posted Bubu’s case in another thread. We initially thought that Pochi perhaps got infected by Bubu too, given that Bubu’s health condition is not good.

For Pochi, Vet prescribed her cendo gentamicin and had her treated for 3 weeks but did not get much improvement. Then she got prescribed antibiotic oral, as we thought it could be bacterial, for a week. After then, her right eye started to also get teary… now both eyes are teary..

I just had a telemedicine with Singaporean Vet (we live in Jakarta, and wanted to seek other Vet’s consultation), and she assessed Pochi’s situation. We were advised to get 1) tear duct flush, 2) x-ray to check her teeth to see if any overgrown. Pochi has been eating normal; hay, pellets, and treats… So I’m not sure if teeth is really the issue.. We are now looking for Vet that can perform teary duct flush for rabbit, as well as x-ray. I hope we can find one, as there aren’t many Vets that are rabbit savvy.

Has anyone experienced teary eye before such as this? Any tips/advice? Thanks

Attachments

FuzzyBunny ph

Reaction score
hmm usually teary eyes are connected to dental issues, but if she's eating lots of hay and pooping normally, then maybe she might need drops. One of my bunnies last years had a super wet eye, we were advised to clean it with saline solution but we still went to the vet and had a Fluorescein Dye Eye test. No blockage so we were just prescribed some drops.

Maybe your local vet can have that done at least to see if there is any blockage in her teaarducts :)

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Teeth could still be the issue even if a rabbit is eating normally. What happens is the tooth roots overgrow(under the surface) and press on the tear duct, blocking it and preventing proper drainage. This can especially be a problem in short faced breeds like holland lops and dwarf rabbits. There are other possible causes though. Did the vet check to make sure it wasn't an eyelid issue causing rubbing on the eyes?

Also you need to make sure that it's not something in your rabbits environment like excess dust, chemicals from cleaners, excessive ammonia build up from the urine and needing more frequent cleaning of your rabbits area, or even an environmental allergy can cause problems for some rabbits.

Darojati

Reaction score
Hello

we just had an xray today without sedation.. so the xray came out blurry :( many said a good xray would require the bunny to be sedated, is this generally true? Or perhaps i need to find another clinic with more experience?

we will be going the main vet tomorrow to check if tear duct flush is needed.

is tear duct flush safe for bunnies? What kind of sedation/anesthesia is usually given to bunny?

Attachments

Darojati

Reaction score
We finally got her checked to the bunny savvy vet last night around 8.30pm (jakarta time). This was after a month of finding time between the vet's super busy schedule.

from the checking: pochi's eye membranes were full of mucus and there's inflammation on her tear duct. So the vet had to clean the mucus as well as treat the tear duct.. could not do flush yet.

We need to treat her eyes with antibiotic and anti-inflammation teardrop prescribed by the vet for next 7days, before the vet can do tear duct flush.

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to get her checked by the good rabbit vet. Hopefully this vet can help get your rabbits runny eye problem figured out and cleared up.

Latest posts