tearing up carpet :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyzra

Reaction score
So i have two rabbits. We have them in the basement. They have a small cage where their food and litter box is in, and then there is a pen surrounding the cage so that they have more space. This is all on top of a cheap rug that we bought so that the real carpet wouldnt get ruined. Lately they have begun chewing up the carpet on top. There is even a small part where they chewed all the way though and damaged the carpet beneath. There isnt really anywhere else in the house that i can put them. There is another par of the basement that is cement instead...but that area has only one small window so it wouldnt get much light and im assuming that would be bad for them? Any suggestions of anything i could do to stop this behavior? i really dont want to have to cage them while im gone. I tried giving them lots of other things to chew but that didnt help much. Maybe they just need more time out of the pen? Is there a different type of material that would be safe for them that i could put underneath them instead?

Zyzra wrote:
So i have two rabbits. We have them in the basement. They have a small cage where their food and litter box is in, and then there is a pen surrounding the cage so that they have more space. This is all on top of a cheap rug that we bought so that the real carpet wouldnt get ruined. Lately they have begun chewing up the carpet on top. There is even a small part where they chewed all the way though and damaged the carpet beneath. There isnt really anywhere else in the house that i can put them. There is another par of the basement that is cement instead...but that area has only one small window so it wouldnt get much light and im assuming that would be bad for them? Any suggestions of anything i could do to stop this behavior? i really dont want to have to cage them while im gone. I tried giving them lots of other things to chew but that didnt help much. Maybe they just need more time out of the pen? Is there a different type of material that would be safe for them that i could put underneath them instead?
i am sure you are well meaning,,but the basement--is it a dungeon--rabbits require sunlight,,-out of sight out of mind doesn,t work well with rabbits,,it leads to serious health problems.//.rabbits are natural diggers/in the wild they keep their nails short by digging,,and its has to do with maturity.//.a proper diet of hay and water,,and a small amount of quality/lowfat/pellets daily might help calm them down.//.rabbits are also consumate groomers and chewers...fruit tree branches/twigs are great for chewing and toys-for playing,,hard plastic//nothing that can be swallowed,..thats another whole topic,,sincerely james waller:rose::wave::tears2:

Could you use the stick tiles and build them nic? You could make a huge area with that. Have you seen the NIC cages our members have made? Let us know if you need a link for some great ideas.;)

Unless you can find another covering or a distraction (we stick a bunch of cardboard boxes together to make a fort, they're endless entertainment as they 'renovate'), the cement may be better than the carpet. If they're actually eating the carpet, that could cause a blockage.

Best, though, if you can replace the chewable carpet with a cheap flat indoor/outdoor piece that they can't really dig and chew.

Bunnies love to explore, so more 'out' time would occupy them well. Just make sure the area is safe with no wires, insulation, storage items, etc, they can get into.

They probably like the window and the sun, but they're not getting any vitamins from it if ifs filtered through the window. That takes more extended periods of direct sunlight.

But as long as they're getting hay, a variety of veggies and a few pellets, their needs are being met. They can be quite happy in artificial light.

Single rabbits need pretty constant companionship and need to live in the same room as humans or at least other animals. As long as they have each other for company, the basement is fine.

sas :bunnydance:

James, our basement isnt like a dungeon. It has just as much light as any other room in the house, and we spend quite a lot of time down there. Its not just a storage place...its actually a nice room with a tv and couches and other stuff. They have a ton of wood and plastic toys to play with, as well as a little tunnel to go though, and a hut. And they do get a diet of hay and water and pellets with veggies sometimes as well. I think i will try to find something else to replace the carpet with. And ill try using some boxes to give them more entertainment..thanks for that idea Pipp.

I would move them to the cement or try to find some other flooring. Perhaps plywood covered in vinyl tiles? Or one of those plastic mats that you would put under a desk chair? Looking at pics of NIC cages will probably give you some good ideas for flooring.

I used to house my bunnies on a sheet of plywood, over which I'd put a piece of vinyl flooring. The hardware store cut the plywood to size for me. Then I got the small piece of flooring, 6'x9,' that is sold for bathrooms or laundry rooms. I used double-sided flooring tape to stick the vinyl to the plywood.
Other people have had luck with rugs with very low pile. The rug could be placed on top of plywood, as well. For either solution, I'd recommend getting something that is slightly larger than the pen area, so your bunnies can't reach the edges.
Then, make sure your bunnies have lots of toys to play with, and cardboard boxes and/or Busy Bunny-type baskets to chew, to help distract them.

my bun does this occationaly,but i cant replace the flooring because im in an apartment. :[ he is pulling the carpet out in one place that he liked to lay. so i had to block it off. he has full roam of my room and is only locked in his cage at night. he has toys and wood to chew on as well as toilet paper rolls but he still does this behavior. is there anything else that can get them to stop?

Latest posts

Back