Tear in bunnys ear, can I do anything about it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzi

Reaction score
I have a bonded male/female pair of buns that have been together since March. Just before Christmas they had a few tiffs, nothing major but the was a little hair pulling and somehow he ended up with a small tear at the end of one ear. It either happened the night before I went away and I didnt notice or it happened while they were being looked after and she didnt notice (he has very dark ears and it is a small tear).

Anyway, I noticed it when I got back from my holiday but it was already healed so Im not sure whether there is anything I either need to do or can do, I imagine if it had been noticed straight away it could have been patched up and healed back together?

Ive since had my female spayed (my male was neutered before they were introduced months ago) as alot of the iffy behaviour Ive seen has been coming from her and Im hoping that will make a difference, although they were a lovely happy pair until a few weeks ago and are fine 99% of the time.

The tear has healed perfectly fine (apart from its appearance), just bugs me a little as hes still young and it will always be there now.

I know the feeling! My Mattie had his ear torn in his previous home and obviously no one did anything about it then... I can't help but feel that if the edges were reopened and a stitch put in, it might heal, but I haven't spoken to the vets about it and probably won't unless he needs sedation/anaesthetic for something else.

I will ask the vet when they have their jabs but I dont want him to suffer any discomfort to fix it so I imagine its there for good as its all healed up now.

I was under the impression rabbits ears bleed alot when they are torn so Im surprised it was missed but I guess its on the very end so maybe it didnt bleed out much.

Will bug me but doesnt bother him, hes not for show after all LOL.

I cant help but wonder if the tear will make his ears more susceptible to catching on things though (hes a lop)?

My little bun Houdini has a tear in his ear as well and I didn´t notice anything either, no blood so only noticed one day and had a look. It´s completely healed and doesn´t both him so I´ve just left it and it´s fine. As long as it´s not very long, I wouldn´t think it matters if it´s completely healed.

Latest posts

Back