Tbone my 19 year old Cat is having issues today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
She's pacing around, keeps trying to clean her bottom, which I looked and did - and do not see anything out of kilter... She just seems very uncomfortable. I give her Petromalt daily (she loves it like a snack - I call it her kitty crack).

1 and half years ago she was diagnosed with the beginings ofkidney failure and this is when I switched her over to the Innova Evo cat food and she's been really great. Always make sure that she has fresh water and monitor how much she drinks. She's eaten food today - used her cat box for both eliminations and again - it all looked fine.

I absolutely hate taking her to the Vet - she always gets sick after (there is always a second visit for the "bug" she picks up)and they push you to run the $350 blood test to tell me that her kidneys are not working well (I know this).. I nursed one cat through polcystic kidney disease for 6 months - so know what to look for on that end and I'm not seeing this as a kidney problem.

Hopeing someone might have a suggestion for things I might try that does not include a Vet visit - or what to look for in the aged cat. Such as temprature (I think I could take hers) and food to feed her for constipation - if this is the case.

Thanks.

Could she have the beginnings of a blocked anal gland? I know you looked, but it might be worth a second gander.

We have a kitty who is prone to them...the first time it happenedit went too far he ended up with a smelly, pussy discharge...and antibiotics.

If you see that either of her anal glands has a crustiness on the outside of it, you might try a little squeeze to see if you can express anything.

I know it sounds gross, but keeping them clear can prevent bacterial growth. You might wish to wear disposable latex gloves when you do this.

Look feel closely around the base of her tail. Any abscess or bump evident? Even the tiniest thing.

Don't know if either of these suggestions are helpful. I will be thinking of you both. Keep me posted as to what you find.

~Mary Ellen

Good thought.. I do have this done each time I take her into the vet, but alas she hasn't needed to go (and I know what you mean by its stinks). So do I squeeze this and where exactly are the located? On either side of the anus or above?

I am SO irritated!!!!! I just ran Tbone down to my vet for a tech visit to get her glands expressed and after waiting for 30 min (as she HAD to be seen by the Vet before she could go to the Tech - which is complete BS) a dog comes in the was hit by a car - so obviously this is more important for the Dr to attend to - but in the interim - they STILL REFUSED to have a tech express her anal glands!

The poor cat was stressed out for nothing; I cannot believe a Vets office would withhold treatment due to "policy". I even told them I would pay for the Dr. visit on top of the Tech treatment and they STILL refused.

AAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH.

So going to try to do this myself here at home. Please anyone with further knowledge tell me if I should NOT or if there is something I should specifically look for. Thanks.

Julie,

You can absolutely do this. The anal glands are located on both the right and left of your cats anus. Depending on how cooperative Tbone is, you may want someone to hold her while you do it.

You should see clearly that they look like two small pin holes on either side of the anus. Get the cat settled, and use your thumbs or forefingers to very gently squeeze the area - kind of like you would pop a pimple. Be careful not to poke with your fingernails or squeeze too hard. You might want to use the outsides of your thumbs so that you don't "nail" her. If there is something there it should express pretty easily.

Sometimes with Tucker, there would be a dried crustiness on the surface that I would have to pick away...or goop that had come out and dried that I would have to pull off. Do this before squeezing.

Tell me how it goes.

~Mary Ellen

Just another thought...

You can squeeze firmly, but be sensitive to any pain or discomfort Tbone is having. Stop if you think it is hurting her - better to wait for the vet then.

But again, I believe you can handle this. I was very, very nervous the first time I tried. Just breathe deeply and focus on what you need to do.

LMAO! I would takeEmmalines advice at this point..

I'm definetly going to give ita try - Tbone is now looking at my as ifsaying "what is the big fascination with my hind end Mom?".. I'm going to give her time to settle down from her trip outside and then try this.. When she was younger - if the glandswere starting to get impacted you could just take a wash cloth and rub it there and it would express..

In looking at the area - I don't see any bumps - and ofcourse she has to be a long haired cat so its kinda hard to be exact in what I'm looking at. I've searched the web and have a pretty good idea where the glands are located. I've had to give shots, fluids, pills etc to various cats so I think I can do this - she's just SO old and I hate upsetting her, but I think we will both live through the experience..

Thanks SO much walking me through this..

No problem. Happy to help. Kinda funny...here we are on a rabbit forum chatting about cat butts.

Anyway, I don't know if Tbone is usually a calm patient for you or not. Tucker was AWFUL...but if I would hold him in my lap and lay him on his back sometimes he would tolerate the expressing better that way (not always) because I could trick him into thinking it was a way of showing affection. He would hop off my lap when he'd have enough...but oddly always come back for more on his own. I think the relief of the expressing felt good and he knew he was being helped.

Looking forward to a Tbone update. By the way, that is an adorable name for a kitty. I'd love to see a pic of her.

Oh, and Emmaline says she doesn't do butts. When Pipkin had poopy butt she hated him for weeks afterwards - lol.

So funny and too true to be talking of cat butt on a bunny site, but their isn't alot out there, or perhaps sites not as great as this.. That is why I love this forum so much.. You guys Rock! Will let you know how the expressing goes..

How is Tbone doing today? I hope better...

:hug:

Sorry for not updating.. Tbone and I gave it the college try last night (late - took me little while to get up the courage and proper positioning) but I believe I did "express" enough to give her some comfort - seems much more relaxed today. I think alot of her irritation is the Baxter! and she just got herself worked up (not letting her see me cuddle him anymore, and making a conscious effort to pay MORE attention to her - seems I've been slacking since Baxter! was rescued and brought home to me.)

Maherwoman I'm going to book an appt for Tbone with your Vet later this week - to make sure it wasexpressed completely and to get her a "checkup".. Maybe I'll take Baxter! along for the ride then your vet can meet him and maybe, just maybe they will "bond" a tad...

Thanks to you all for helping with this matter.. Wish there was as great a cat site as this bun site... But youModerators/Sr. Membersseem to wear 2 (if not 3, 4 or 5 hats)..

Oh wonderful! You'll love Dr. Limburg! She's so wonderful...:)

Hugs to you and Tbone and Baxter!

juliew19673 wrote:
Wish there was as great a cat site as this bun site... But youModerators/Sr. Membersseem to wear 2 (if not 3, 4 or 5 hats)..

This site may help you: http://www.cathelp-online.com/forums/index.php

I'm a member there and the people were real supportive when I brought Raven home (the girl who was tossed out of a moving car and had severe injuries).

The people there are very informative when it comes to cats in need. Some of the people are ones I know from years ago when Acme Pet was up. Davet is a wonderful retired vet to speak with. His knowledge didn't end with his retirement, he definantly keeps up with medical information and learning and he specializes in felines.

Hooray for Tbone & you! :highfive: I knew you could do it...even after midnight...

Hope you find your new vet to be just what you are looking for.

Please update after your visit this week.

~Mary Ellen

P.S. - I agree that this forum is the best, most supportive I've found anywhere...no matter what the issue.

Latest posts

Back