Taz update:

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyatt101

Reaction score
Taz is doing a lot better, however, I noticed that she seems to be elevating her leg a little more, and obviously, when she stops hopping, she kind of falls a little to the side. When I go to feed her, she always jumps to the front of the cage to greet me. I can pick her up without her squirming or giving any indication that she's in pain, but I still don't want to hold her too much just in case. i will try to get links to pictures/videos of her so you can see :)

Just in case you didn't see my last post, Taz recently broke her leg, and I think she's getting better :)

I hope it is healing as it should! Sounds like progress. Yay for taz!

I have a video of her leg, it's not very good, but maybe you can kind of see how she moves. My poor baby :(

In order to see the video, click it and it will take you to my photobucket :) Again, sorry it isn't great quality, but hopefully you were able to see her leg! :)

Did she ever see a veterinarian for this injury? Was the leg put into a cast or splint? It looks like the leg is not bearing any weight at all.

I agree with Christina> It doesn't look like she is putting any weight on it at all. I would get Taz to the vet asap if you haven't already.

Agreed get her to the vet. That kind of an injury should have seen a vet a while ago. It looks like it might have to be amputated now.

? i read that it was GOOD that her leg was up. We really can't afford to take her to the vet, and please don't be harsh, i've got a lot to deal with :(

ldoerr wrote:
Agreed get her to the vet. That kind of an injury should have seen a vet a while ago. It looks like it might have to be amputated now.

Please, try to keep this encouraging here. Ideally any sniffle or strange behavior would go straight to the vet. And, even more so, a broken bone would. However, clearly Christina cares alot about her buns, is doing her best given the circumstances, has alot of feeling to work through and really doesn't need people dumping or accusing.

Praying your Taz gets better easily and soon! :pray:

Thank you so much Mia! Believe me, I want othing more than to be able to take her to a vet :(

I agree wiith Mia, if you don't have the money or whatever situation your in do the best with what you can. It probably is better to have it raised up (less swelling?). Sorry I don't have much information to give you! Look up all articles on GOOGLE about this and see what they say? Many other people have had this problem.

I have read tons, and I thought it was better that her leg was up. I felt sick when someone posted she might have to have it amputated! I read that tons of people have had rabbits survive and breed even with broken legs, and the legs healed themselves, and the bunny was fine. I'm just hoping this is the case with Taz! THank you all for your help, and if anyone has any advice, please post!

Whether or not a fracture heals at all depends a lot on the positioning of the ends of the bone. Ideally they should be fixed with the two ends as close together as possible to facilitate healing. Without seeing your rabbit and/or radiographs in person, there is no way of knowing if the bone will heal. With growing animals there is an added concern that a fracture may be across the growth plate.

In my opinion this should have at the very least been splinted and I imagine the rabbit would have benefited from pain management as well. Without knowing how the fracture happened, I would also have concerns about damage to the surrounding tissues. The fact that she's not dragging her leg may be a good sign for her proprioception but I'm worried about whether or not she'll be able to bear weight on it in the future.

Hyatt101 wrote:
I have read tons, and I thought it was better that her leg was up. I felt sick when someone posted she might have to have it amputated! I read that tons of people have had rabbits survive and breed even with broken legs, and the legs healed themselves, and the bunny was fine. I'm just hoping this is the case with Taz! THank you all for your help, and if anyone has any advice, please post!
Having a leg up when you're resting is a good thing, however an animal that refuses to put weight on the leg while moving means it is causing them pain to do so, which is not a good thing. Taz is also holding the leg at a very odd angle which doesn't look good.

With out seeing a vet you have no idea how the bone has broken, if there are small bits and shards floating around the area that can cause sever pain.Not all breaks are capeable of healing on their own, never mind any muscle or nerve damage that has happened as a result.

Taz really should see a vet and at least have an x-ray taken to see what is going on in there. Pain meds would be helpful too.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD2cGOjIcodYK5FpBxh_yLA8AdqKAjt_Will36-p-n2iHXwe2gXjaKiLWcMQ
Heres a few examples of SOME types of breaks.

Taz used to drag it when it first happened, but now its the elevated leg. Is there a way for me to splint it on my own?

You still need to find out where and how its fractured. Helping taz keep it immobilized is helpful, but its obviously causing her pain and we dont know if it will cause her pain for life because of the type of break it was or if there are little bone shards floating around in the leg, etc. Splinting can be tricky if you have never done it before, especially on a growing bunny, and a bone should ideally be splinted back in the proper place. At this point the leg may just be dead weight to her if she cant use it at all.

She really should see a vet, and should have been taken as soon as you realised the break happened. The fact that she is a young growing bunny makes it all the more important to fix the break properly as this can seriously impact her development, growth, and function of that leg.

Yes there are lots of stories out there of breaks that are healed on their own, most in adult bunnys that are not growing any more. But there are also a lot of stories of bunnys whos legs didn't heal properly, bunnys in a fair amount of pain and having complications because of the previous issue.

Part of being a good bunny parent and breeding is the willingness and ability of taking an ill or injured animal to the vet when needed. Please do Taz a favour and have a vet look at the leg. This is something that will impact the next 10+ years of her life.

Latest posts

Back