Tattoos?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
I've been seriously looking into tattoos as means of permanent identification. I was wondering what kind of system you use for identifying individual rabbits?

At the moment, my system is such:
BF01

Buck - Foundation - 01 (or, 02, 03, 04, etc.)

Same for does, just with a D instead of a B. I haven't tattoo'd anyone yet but this seems like an awfully complicated system to use. Should I just use a B or a D, then a number? What about for offspring that I intend on keeping?

I'm already keeping files on each rabbit, but I'd like a better way to identify them, especially since I intend on specializing in BEW's. Which are kinda all the same as far as looks go :)

I use BC - for my rabbitry prefix, and then the first letter of the doe's name & a number. Right now, I have gone up to 4, so my next litters will be 5, 6, 7, 8, and so on, even if the doe is adifferent one than the previous.

So, I have BCT1-4, my next litter will be BCK5-whatever.

What breed will you be raising? That plays into the tattoo system a bit because of the length of ears. ;) You wouldn't want to put a huge number in a tiny ear. ;)

I have Mini Rex, so 4 to 5 letters/number combo fits perfectly.

Emily

I usually put the first letters of their names now. That way if two are very similar looking, I can tell who it is.

K1 - Kira, ONY - Onyx, HHH - Hot Hot Heat, INC- Incendie

Here is a litter of 5:
OT1 - Otani chesnut buck
IH2 - Ihana chesnut doe
TO3 - Tohru chesnut doe
SPMB - She Paints Me blue buck
YOSH - Yoshi black doe

so the ones that are the same color are numbered. The others are the first letters of a name or intials.

If names are similar, then they can have a different number.

I like to have a trademark of sorts.

I tattoo all of mine MV (for meadow view's) followed by a number. This way I can recognize sold rabbits on the table, and so can others.

It doesn't matter what kind of system you use, as long as you keep track of each ear number.

I use my rabbitry prefix NT and then two of the letters in the rabbit's name that are easy to tattoo, so it gives me an idea of what the rabbit's name is. I keep track of every ear number on a spreadsheet and save a copy of each pedigree to my computer listed by ear number. I can access any rabbit that I have ever tattooed just by searching for its ear number in my files.

I use my rabbitry prefix TA then the number they came in,

So if Narnia was my 68th rabbit I got her tattoo would be TA68.

In New Zealand, if you are a RCNZ member and you wish to show your rabbit and earn championship certificates, your rabbit needs to be registered with either a leg ring or a tattoo in the ear. These are allocated by the RCNZ, and any rabbit shown that has a non RCNZ tattoo will be disqualified (tho the rabbit can still be shown in unregisteree or pet clases), unless its an imported rabbit that is already tattooed and then registeree with the RCNZ.

My different breeds area ll slightly different.
My Hollands all start with Hthen a 2 digit number.
My mini rex are all HVtwo digit number
Dutch are V, Dam's first initial then two digit number
Velveteen Lops are HV Dam's first initial then two digit number.
Right now the H and the V are my initials until I completely settle on a rabbitry name. I've been going by Aya Sora but I'm looking at changing that so I haven't used AS as a prefix yet.

Latest posts

Back