Tattoo's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailsend

Reaction score
My very first bunny, Nibs, passed away today. He was 10 1/2.... I was planning on getting a tattoo while we are traveling this summer, either in Anchorage or Vegas, but more likely Anchorage since it will then have time to heal before I am in California and Nevada. Anyway, I had planned on awhale design, but am sure I need a bunny tattoo after loosing Nibs. I've looked at couple simple designs. In my minds eye I envision a small tattoo, but like a picture of him with some fireweed behind him. This is my first tattoo so I'm totally new at this. I know some tattoo artists will design things for you. I am working long distance since I'm trying to set it up before I am there which will be in a couple weeks. I leave in a week for our trip.

So anyone have any idea's, advice, etc? I have no idea about how long it takes, cost, etc. So anyone with a bunny tattoo or any kind of tattoo have any advice to offer me? I know you guys have tattoo's, I saw the thread! LOL.

Thanks guys, anything would be helpful. How do I even go about designing a tattoo like the one I envision?

Donna, I'm so sorry you lost Nibs today. Binky Free Little Guy.

I have 2 tatoos. I'm definetely going to get another once I'm Divorced, probably one of my babies but with 6 which one do I pick?

Anyways my 2 are Piglet and Bunny on lower back and a real small bunnyone on my lower right tummy.

I paid $75 dollars for the small one and about $150 for the bigger one.

Not much help to you though. lol

Susan :)

Thanks Susan. We lost another oldie this week too so it's been a little overwhelming.

What do you bunny tattoo's look like Susan? Anything is helpful to me, believe me! That does give me at least somewhat of a price idea. I'm thinking about color, detail... I am assuming all that plays into the price right? And size.

I absolutely think you should get another after your divorce. Which baby would be very hard too choose. I trust the right design will come to you though.

am sorry for your recent bunny bereavements. a tattoo is the one thing i've never gotten round to getting - like you i cant decide what to have! bunnies? dogs? kids? im planning on it being on my ankle so space is limited:D

have you tried pm-ing undergunfire. im sure that this lady had a bunny tattoo recently - i can remember seeing pics!

donna

piglet.jpg

Donna this is the one on my back. I'm not sure if I have a picture of the other one. I'll keep looking.

Susan :)

I have tattoo's. All you have to do is take in the picture of your bunny, to the tattooartist. Tell them the size you want and the design you want behind him. And you pick the colors. Anymore tattoo's are expensive. Atleast have a couple hundred dollars on you. If it's gonna be small to medium tattoo you should be able to get it done in one sitting.

Not all tattoo's hurt. Depends on area. They are addicting!!

:) April

i agree tattoos are addicting,lol. I have 4 and i still want to get more,lol. Cat wait to see pics of your tattoo when you get it done

I highly suggest picking a local artist who is very professional. I can't stress a professional tattoo artist enough. I have seen people get some shoddy work done by "professionals" and because they got a "sweet deal". I am not saying expensive is better, but in some cases it will be. Tattoos are a work of art....and professional art can be expensive.

I picked my artist because of his popularity here in AZ (especially in our town) and because he displays all of his awards in his work space in the shop for every one to see. He has won numerous in-state and out of state awards at known tattoo conventions. His portfolio that he displays on the front desk space in the shop is simple, clean, and shows off his work. The pictures that he chooses to put in his book are unique and different tattoos that he has done. Tony (my artist) is known for his pin-up girls, traditional style tattoos, and portraits.

Also...my tattoo shop doesn't take walk-ins. If you think about it...you shouldn't be able to walk into a professional shop and get whatever you want. Personally, a real professional will have a meeting period with you to plan out you're tattoo, ask you to make you're appointment (which is usually 2+ weeks booked out), and ask you to pay a $40 or so non-refundable deposit for you're appointment (which that money goes towards the cost of you're tattoo if you show up for you're appt). During this time, the artist will call you and ask you to come in before you're appointment to check out the work he has drawn up. He can then make adjustments based on what you liked and didn't like.

If you bring in a picture of a tattoo that you want....a professional artist will ALWAYS draw up you're idea and make minor adjustments to make it his own piece of work. I'd be leary of any shop that will tattoo up the exact picture that you printed offline. Also....if I, personally, walked into a shop that had panels of "wall art" for you to chose from to be tattooed on you're body (that 8943958783 people may also have on their body)....I'd walk right out and cross them off on my list of potentional shops that I'd like to be tattooed at.

Oh, and the reason I say a local artist (within driving distance) is because what if you're skin reacts to the ink and some ink gets pulled out and you have a skin colored blotch where a colored area should be? This can happen during the healing process. When this happens, you're tattoo artist will do touch-ups for free...but if you are many miles away, then they obviously won't be able to do touch ups. At this point, you may have to pay another shop that is local to do the touch ups....if they can determine what color ink was used.

Many professional shops will charge $100 per hour. Most shops will also charge by piece of work. For instance....if you're tattoo is going to take 2 sessions at 3 hours each session with a month inbetween....realistically, if they charge $100 per hour...you should get charged $600...but some will "discount" and just charge you $400....but you should then expect to at least tip $50-$60 per session.

My tattoo, for instance....took 4 sessions...over a year's span of time. I sat in the chair for anywhere from 4 hours to 8 hours....I should have been charged around $1500 if my artist was basing off of hourly pay....but I was only charged $1000 including about $300 worth of tips...due to doing a whole huge piece of art. He even did my middle chest piece for free...since it was his idea and he thought it would look really cool in the center of my chest.

Here is the picture that I took into my artist. I wanted something like this on my chest with roses around it. This original design is from a necklace that I found on etsy.com...
l_ec89a1531c62b57de3b6eb0c4cdf9cf5.jpg

Here is the outline (healed, took this picture before I went in for color). I did one side in 1 session and the other side in another session....

l_3d3a235b890649eb8316aa34fced6495.jpg

Partial color done in another session. I told Tony I wanted purple/lavender roses and he took over the rest of the colors to make it is one. Keep in mind, that I had full trust in him because I knew he was a professional and would do a good job....

3235496846_e4e6a9f10e.jpg

Finished chest piece done in another session. I showed Tony a picture of a Champagne D' Argent rabbit and told him I wanted the side bunnies colored like the C D' A....and he did the coloring to still "match" the traditional style of my tattoo...

l_695404bd80c94362aa95a423d4e6715f.jpg

l_0ce8e72df21d4ba38ccf2b987a103ac4.jpg

And here is the picture that Tony used to "free style" draw Morgan...

l_06f2ad41249b491a85c4a21230005e2d.jpg

I think Tony really captured Morgan's eyes and his expressions. This was Tony's very first rabbit tattoo! When I think of Morgan, I always picture him the way he is picture in the above picture...and I will always remember him like that. It's like Morgan wants to tell a story with his eyes and his expressions....but I can't speak rabbit, so I don't know what he wants to tell me. I am so happy that the "story of Morgan" could be capture and tattooed perfectly on my chest.

My next tattoos from Tony will be a portrait of my Zaide kitty, who passed away on October 1st of last year. I am also wanted a rat portrait of my 3 year old heart rat, Spartan. I have full trust that Tony can yet again capture (with me taking the right picture) their stories and zest for life in his tattoos.

So....it really pays off to go the extra route researching a good artist and possibly paying extra money to work that you are happy with.

I totally agree with undergunfire. I have full sleeves, chest and back. All my work was done by the same artist before we moved from CA. He can do anything from a picture and what you tell him you'd like with it. He did up the art work so I could see it and hash out details. Most importantly, he doesn't take walk ins. There is a three month wait for an appointment. Look local and talk to other people that you "know" for reliable information. Don't be in a rush as you will be wearing it for quite a while.

ha ha i have never tipped for a tattoo, i wonder if this is a California thing or do others who have had tattoo's tip?

I have never tipped either. In Ohio they don't have appt's. It's first come, first serve. And all the tattoo shops have pictures hanging on the walls. Lol. Things are way different here. Not saying for the better. Never been 100 % happy with any of my tattoo's. I have 4.

You should ALWAYS tip you're artist. They are putting their time and energy into a piece of art....tips are always expected :twitch:. Shoot, you tip at a restaurant for someone to bring you food, lol.

Also, getting tattoo's is the same anywhere....all of the information I provided will fit any area/any state. There are MANY tattoo shops here who will take walk-ins and have art on the walls that you can pick from for a tattoo...but that doesn't mean they are the only shop to get work done.

It really pays off to educate yourself and find a professional shop. Anyone can tattoo and own a shop...which is scary, personally. The ink will be on you're body forever....might as well make sure it is done by REAL artists.

I tip at restaurants because they only get paid 3-4 dollars an hour, a tattoo artist gets paid a commission of the tattoo, which i paid a couple hundred dollars each for my tattoo's so i figured that they were getting an adequate amount of money,lol.

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
I tip at restaurants because they only get paid 3-4 dollars an hour, a tattoo artist gets paid a commission of the tattoo, which i paid a couple hundred dollars each for my tattoo's so i figured that they were getting an adequate amount of money,lol.

You should still tip :p. I paid $1000 in total for my chest piece and tipped about $300 of that. He even gave me deals and Morgan's tattoo was free. I never tip below $50. One of my sessions was $150 and I tipped $50 on top of that.

Many tattoo artists pay rent for their space, so they do not get an hourly pay rate or "commission". Whatever money comes in from tattoos gets split up for their rent and their at-home expenses. They are independently working.

If you go to a salon and spend $150 on a dye job + a hair cut...you still tip, regardless of the cost. Tipping is just common courtesy (as they say...."Tippin' is not just a city in China"...haha!).

Wow, that's kind of sad that you guys never tip. The total of the bill should not wager in on whether you tip or not.

I just never thought about tipping them, i figured that the price that they charge was significant enough. One tattoo that i have took two hours and it cost 250.00, even if the tattoo artist paid 50% commission 125.00 an hour is still significant in my eyes.

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
I just never thought about tipping them, i figured that the price that they charge was significant enough. One tattoo that i have took two hours and it cost 250.00, even if the tattoo artist paid 50% commission 125.00 an hour is still significant in my eyes.
I am sure a lot of people don't tip because they figure that the artist is getting enough...(which, they are getting a lot)...they get to pocket the whole cost of the tattoo, really. Even tipping a little bit is still good. My artist always asks "Are you sure?!" and always acts shocked when we tip him because we tip pretty well because he does such an amazing job.

I asked a girl at work if she tipped on her tattoo's and she said she didn't. I guess I am just a little surprised that people don't tip...just how you (Fran) are surprised people do tip :p.

I tip for my hair that will grow back I sure would tip for a tattoo that is staying on me. :p

JadeIcing wrote:
I tip for my hair that will grow back I sure would tip for a tattoo that is staying on me. :p
Which reminds me...when are you getting you're tattoo done?

:nasty::stikpoke

Latest posts

Back