Tattooing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPoet00

Reaction score
I've heard a fair amount about how show rabbitsneed to have a tattoo inside their left ear. I've also read about howto do this (or at least one way -- the clamp method). This seems verypainful to me -- doesn't this hurt the rabbit? Just curious.

Thanks! :)

I would imagine it does sting, but we do not knowhow sensitive the pain receptors in the rabbit's ears are.When done properly, the ear does not seem to bother the rabbit asignificantly afterwards -- in fact, in most cases they seem toimmediately forget the entire incident. I no longer registeror do tattooing at shows, however 2 years ago, I did tattoo over 1000rabbits. I've used all methods of tattooing including handtattooing, clamp and battery/electric tattoo guns.

Pam

Based upon your experience, what was the mosteasy and effective method to use? I would think the Englishmethod of banding the rear leg would be more humane. Anythoughts on that matter?

Buck

Based on my experience, the clamp seems to bemore painful than the electric/battery tattoos and are highly preferredwhen people are giving the choice.

The banding is also an effective form of identifying the animal, butcan be a hazard if it gets caught on something or the rabbit's legswells. It is also not a permanent form of identification asa thief can easily cut the band off. For this reason,permanent tattoos are often the method of choice for marking show orexpensiveanimals in the United States.

Pam

I imagine it is similar to an ear piercing. Iknow it's disgusting to hit the big vein! Blood everywhere.:(It seemed to hurt a lot to some buns and not even fazeothers. My Mini-Rex dragged his ear around for two days, but I've hadothers be just fine after. Of course, he was kind of over-dramatic ingeneral. If he didn't like something, you were forcibly reminded of itfor weeks to come.

It's such a quick thing though, better than some vet visits! I wouldn'tworry too much if you have to get it done. Just hold tight so theycan't jerk--that's when you're likely to hit veins.

Rose

Pam-

About what age do you tattoo your Hollands? I am getting a tattoo kitfor Christmas, and was wandering at what age I should tattoo Lorraine'skits? Thanks! ^^

~Nichole

I've only had to tatto one bunny so far but IDIDNT like it. If there was any way to avoid it I would but if I'mgoing to show them....and the kids show them...it has to be done.

Lanna

SLRabbits wrote:
Pam-

About what age do you tattoo your Hollands? I am getting a tattoo kitfor Christmas, and was wandering at what age I should tattoo Lorraine'skits? Thanks! ^^

~Nichole

We normally tattoo around the time the babies are weaned.

Pam

lanna21974 wrote:
I've only had to tatto one bunny so far but I DIDNT like it.If there was any way to avoid it I would but if I'm going to showthem....and the kids show them...it has to be done.

Lanna

Well, if you did dwarfs.....those ears are so TINY!!!! You can hardlyeven see the veins. Big ones are easier! (except they kick harder)

Rose

I cant believe its very painfull, i have tattoedhundreds of rabbits and only one ever squealed, in front of hewhole4 H club of course.it only takes a second.usually thelops never even move.bluebird

i've watched quite a few tattoos, some people arebetter at it than others for sure. But after watching tattoos i'd haveto say if i was going to tattoo i'd go with the pen, might take alittle getting used to, but of what i have watched that seems the leastpainful to me. I counted one my buns tattoos, 32 holes in theear for 3 letters, I can't say thats comparable to ear peircing howmany people get more than one or 2 holes at a time? One of my friendsand myself did 5 holes in one ear all at once... wont repete that againLOL I do think a tattoo is better than the rings the UK uses, i'd hateto see an accident happen with one those rings.

But tattoos at least don't go THROUGH the ear! ;)

I was thinking about the comment about lops not reacting. I'm trying toremember Izzy....I don't remember her squirming much. That'sinteresting! I think my worst was trying to hold a mini-rex down. Whew!

Rose

Youre soooooo right rabbitgirl. This is no slightagainst mini rex but Lord do they fight when my hubby tats them. Iguess they just have a different temperment.

Will certainly agree with the fact that Mini Rexcan be the most difficult to tattoo! Lops are usually theeasiest.

Pam

rabbitgirl wrote:
But tattoos at least don't go THROUGH the ear! ;)

I was thinking about the comment about lops not reacting. I'm trying toremember Izzy....I don't remember her squirming much. That'sinteresting! I think my worst was trying to hold a mini-rex down. Whew!

Rose
that depends on whos doing the tattoo... yikes there are some peopleout there with no busness holding a tatooer :p I have heard of moremessed up tattoos on mrex due to jumping, one my friends has one, hehas so many holes.. well ink dots all over his ear and a little skintag from a i think combo of bad job and over excited rabbit.

I should mention she didn't tattoo the bun but got the bun for free since the ear was so messed up

I've never seen a rabbit with a tattoo, can someone show me?

I know dogs get it done on the inside of their legs, though I did see adog with an ear tattoo once. If its anything like humans, the thinnerthe skin, the more it hurts.

Latest posts

Back