Tattoo equipment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djluster

Reaction score
What do you prefer and why electric or clamp style. I worry that since I don't have the best hand writing that the electric may not be good for me. So what do you use and at what age do you do it.

I prefer the clump set, its much easier and only takes a few seconds, my hand writing is no good.

I tattoo from 10 weeks old +

We have the EZtatt. My handwriting got much better after practice. I use a banana before tattooing just to refresh my memory. I tattoo usually at 3-4mos

I like it. I just had to change my handwriting a little bit because it is "different". It's faster than the clamp and gives my rabbits character

We used the clamp style when we had Californians for FFA, mainly because that's all the Ag teacher had. I didn't really like it because they would really squirm and squeal when we used it. It was very legible though. We had totattoo at about 60 days old. We now prefer the tattoo pen because our rabbits tolerate it better. It just takes some practice.

I just purchased the clamp style and plan on tattooing at weaning. I have a tattoo and remember how getting that felt, I do not want to put my bunnies through that if I can help it. All the pain at once and it is over except to rub it the ink.
You can use your choice of colors, just go to a hobby store and get india ink.In time mine will be teal, but I am practicing with the black my kit came with. I chose the Stone #300 it can hold as few as 1 digit or up to 6 and it works with large or small rabbit breeds.

The clamp was all that was available when I was really big on rabbits before. When I went to my first arba show like 3 or 4 years ago and someone tattooed my rabbit there I was like THEY HAVE ELECTRC GUNS NOW?!

I do like the clamp because its over and done with in .5 seconds.

But I did buy a tat gun this time, haven't used it, but need to tattoo a few. And all mine are tattoo'd by 8 weeks. B/c that is when they leave.

They also make a bunny wrap taht you can put your rabbit in and it can't move. VERY handy

and I wont use anything but black ink. There is always some sort of issue with tats as is, let alone adding in color to make it more difficult.

I am not sure of the earliest recommended age but I know quite a few that tattoo at weaning, but I also know others that tattoo older and some that don't tattoo at all.

I did try the different colors, Teal and Turquoise turned out very nice on dark ears, magenta not so much. Magenta is best used on light colored ears. Most were colored with the black ink that came with the kit. I was experimenting with the colors.(I was also using a clamp type tattoo device)

yes they must be tattooed in a 'permanant manner'.

I nearly had a fit at the last show, the boy was writing it in with a marker as he was throwing them on the table. I HATE when the arba rules are not followed, and especially as a judge sits there and waits to take the rabbit as they are marking the ear -_-

GorbyJobRabbits wrote:
yes they must be tattooed in a 'permanant manner'.

I nearly had a fit at the last show, the boy was writing it in with a marker as he was throwing them on the table. I HATE when the arba rules are not followed, and especially as a judge sits there and waits to take the rabbit as they are marking the ear -_-
I do hate it when I get stuck waiting for someone that's trying to put a more ledigble tat with a sharpie in, but I've had to do it before with some of my Jr's. I had tattooed their ears(clamp style) and they didn't stick or I've had some of my sr's fade out. But I seriously don't wait if I have to dot a few spots in with a sharpie- for the time of showing- I do mine the night before and retattoo after the show, or pay someone at the show to do it. I'm going to get me an EzTatt and give that a try.

I have seen 3 different rabbits from 3 different breeders that used the electric needle and after a year the tattoos were no longer legible. I hope others are having better luck?

Most of the breeders around here use the clamp style yet.

CCWelch wrote:
after a year the tattoos were no longer legible. I hope others are having better luck?
Same can happen with the clump tattooes, the ink in the pinholes disappears, and needs a touch up with the tattoo pen.

I've had to tattoo a rabbit twice with a clump because that has happened.

I have both and have used both. I prefer the EZTatt over my clamp set. I can put any combination of letters and numbers in their ears. I am not limited to the digits I have on hand.

I do tattoo's for people at shows, and find that most rabbits will sit still for you. I have not had a single screamer from the EZTatt either. Where as I would get a few when I used the clamp.

Well I've been having a TON of trouble getting the clamp tattoo's to stick, so I'm going to keep my clamp as backup or for the new zealands but I've already ordered an Equitatt that Gorbyjobrabbits had suggested to me. Hopefully this will do the trick for me.

I have both well I actually have three methods of tattooing I have the Champoin Clamp, The Inkinator gun and I also have scratch/touchup pens. I have learned if you write in the rabbits ear first with a inkpen you can go over it with your electric gun and it makes it much easier to get a nice tattoo.

I had a few tats that faded partially out after a year or two, and a few that teh same person did that never faded out, still bright and highly visable 6 years later . . . I think a bit has to do with the ears too.

Did you tatt come in yet? The first tattoos you will do with it look amazing lol. We had to do a bunch at the show this weekend. Your FB message on shipping actually came through at like 2 am while we were in the hotel. It was a 2 day quad show event. So 3 of us rented a room. The phone went off at 2 and woke us up and I told Tab that it was about the shipping charges on the gun lol.

Latest posts

Back