Taste testing Buns... Poisonous?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilLops

Reaction score
Hey! I'm worried about my girls at the moment, I really hope its not that bad, but to be on the safe side i just wanted to share.. :?

My bunnies love running around on our enclosed patio. But today my mum was gardening and left a sweet potato on top of their wooden feed bin that i keep hay and pellets in (on the patio). I never thought they would be able to get on top of it let alone be interested in sweet potato... :(

But when i went to get their dinner from the box, i notices some little chunks that had been eaten off it. Maybe I'm overreacting, but would this be enough to poison them? I thought sweet potato was not good for buns, so i just wanted to check! :ponder:

I really really hope i'm overreacting! :lookaround

Anyone else had bunnies that have decided to taste things that really..arent that good for them? I would luv to know what happened in case my buns get to anything in the future! ;)

I'd think they'll be fine. With my first bunny when I was little and knew nothing about bunnies, I gave her all sorts of stuff..including grape flavored lolli pops, popsickles..yeah, and she was fine. As long as you don't see any huge signs I'd think it won't be an issue.

Hey there! Charlie and Chloe seem to be fine this morning, so now i wont leave anything on the patio now, since they will probs get to it :p

Thanks for your reply Bunnylova! i think i will just keep an eye on them, and yeah i think they will be alright :biggrin2: cheeky lil buns...

I think I've actually fed Mocha sweet potato before with no problems. I also unknowingly fed her a poinsettia leaf before until I read that it's poisonous for her.
The worst thing she's ever eaten though, were several little bamboo plants we had cut off to re-plant!!
I thought she had given up eating poinsettia leaves but one day I noticed little nibbles on all the bottom leaves. I've even caught her eating the dried up leaves that fell to the floor.
I did call the vet after the bamboo shoots, but nothing ever happened to her. All her poops and appetite were fine.
Maybe she's just a tough bunny.
I have moved all dangerous plants up high though since the scares.

Back