Tallulah's continued tummy troubles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jenk's bunny is on long-term Benebac. I can see using it for at least a little longer than she's on the coccidea meds since that's also an antibiotic- that's what Loki's on right now too. With her tummy so sensitive, the Benebac would be a good idea with that. I don't know how much good it would do long term but it shouldn't do any harm.

How much does the little girl weigh? I could see her being a little smaller than other hollands at her age because of all the health problems but she shouldn't be too far off. I know Mocha, my little polish/nethie, looked pretty babyish even when she stopped growing at about 6 months. She looked more adult when she filled out right around a year old. Like the difference between a teenager and a mid-20's human.

Naturestee, Tallulah weighs 2 pounds, 3 ounces if you don't take into consideration her extra weight from her tummy problems. The breeder says her siblings are all over 3 pounds. The vet doesn't think Tallulah is underweight, she's just little- not skinny. It could also be that she's just a smaller Holland, apparently her grandfather weighed just over 2 1/2 pounds so maybe she takes after him! I'm just glad that she's not skinny, and that she's growing.

How is Loki doing? I read somewhere else that he's sick, but I didn't see a thread about him in the Infirmary. I hope he'll be okay! Thanks for helping my Tallulah so much! I wouldn't have known to suggest coccidea if you and the other members hadn't mentioned it.

Yeah, I bet she's just going to be a little one. But sooooo cute!

Loki's doing really well now, thanks for asking! It's the "Tummy Virus" thread although his turned out to be from dental problems. I just came back on to update it again, actually.

Naturestee, I'm not sure HOW I missed seeing your thread! It was right there at the top of the page, too, but I was looking for a thread farther down. How scary to have so many sick bunnies at once! I need to go look at your thread when I'm done typing this.

Good news! Tallulah seems to be getting better :pinkbouce: Her little bottom is the cleanest I've seen it in a month or so! She doesn't usually have a really dirty butt, but there's usually something going on. The past week she even had stinky butt and there was nearly always a poop stuck to her fur when I checked. She's 6 months old today, but has long, fine baby hair still so poops that aren't that bad get stuck. But today her bottom was nice and clean :biggrin2: I can't feel her cecum anymore (though I'm not an expert so it may still be enlarged) and she doesn't feel round, heavy and bloated anymore. Also, her poops look more normal! They're lighter in color and are uniformly firm and dry, but not crumbly. There is some size and shape variation, but not very much. Oh, how fascinating poop is!

I also bought her a special glass at Fred Meyer to drink out of. It's a bourbon glass or something. I chose a glass with that shape because bowls have low edges and I'm sure she'd fling poop and hay in it 10 times a day, and bowls take up more space. This glass seems perfect because it doesn't take up too much space, has high enough sides, is heavy and will (hopefully!) be hard for her to tip over. I hope having water available in a bottle and glass will get her to drink more, in case slight dehydration is what was causing her weirdly sized poops.

I have a question though. I'm still giving her the gut motility drug every 12 hours. She's got it 7 times since Sunday night, or 3 1/2 days. How much longer should I give it to her? It doesn't appear to be causing her any pain. She really liked the taste too, so giving it to her isn't hard. She's doing so well that I'm reluctant to take it away if it's helping her... What do you think?

Since it seems to be working for her, talk to the vet about stopping it. Maybe he wanted to get another feel of her belly and check her cecum before he gives the ok to stop using it?

I'm so glad she's feeling better!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
  Oh, how fascinating poop is!

SnowyShiloh, this is a remark only we, bunny people can understand and appreciate!!! :biggrin2:

BTW, I'm very glad that Tallulah's problem seems to be almost over, she is one of my fav buns on RO!

In regard to the gut motility drug, Naturestee is right, check with the vet.

Marietta

Here's a quick video of Tallulah getting excited about her medicine that I thought you all might enjoy! She is very glad you suggested she may have coccidea because now she gets delicious medicine twice a day.

Tallulah has her follow up appointment in the morning! Wish us luck :) I really, really hope she is better now. So far it's looking GOOD!

HOORAY! Tallulah got a clean bill of health from the vet! :party: This is the first time in 4 MONTHS that she hasn't had something going on with her! And I get the feeling that the coccidea or whatever was causing her to be sick this time was at the root of all her other problems. She's had the most normal poop she's ever had since she started getting the antibiotics! Today is her 12th day of antibiotics, she just has a tiny bit left and the vet said I can go on and give the rest to her. The vet also suggested spaying her at the same time Mylo will be neutered on May 5th, so we have an appointment for then! Yay for healthy bunny. I might end up pushing back her date if I feel she hasn't been healthy for long enough, we will see.

The vet also gave me permission to let Mylo run around on the carpet where Tallulah plays and to let them meet through the cage bars (since neither has been fixed yet)!
I'm so happy :yes:

Yeah Tallulah, I'm so glad she's got a clean bill of health. She's just too darn cute to be sick all the time. Keep up the good work.

Susan:)

Yay!!! I'm so glad that she's so much better! Go Tallulah! :highfive:

Now she can just concentrate on being as cute as possible, not that she needs to try lol! :p

Aww, I just picked Tallulah up and she has a little bit of poop on her butt. Just a little. :grumpy: Do you think this is necessarily something to be concerned about? She will be getting her antibiotics for approximately a day and a half still.

As of this afternoon, Tallulah has poopy butt :( I am sad. What to do now? Maybe it's from being on antibiotics for almost two weeks? I doubt it :(

Aw, I'm sorry to hear this. Darn it. I'm not sure with antibiotics, but when my first bun was on meds for heart failure, it caused him mushy poos. So, I suppose it's possible. Does she have to take one more dose still?

Naturestee, I don't see how she could have gotten into anything she wasn't supposed to... and she had her last dose of antibiotics yesterday morning. The bottle is empty now. I gave her Benebac last night and will continue until the tube is empty. The good thing is that her tummy is nice and soft and I can't feel her cecum.

Latest posts

Back