Taking photos

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Bracon~

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else find it really hard trying to take pics of their bunnys? Everyone else's seem really good but I can never really get Bracon to stay still long enough, unless I bribe him with a bit of grass. And the pics arn't the best of quality because I use the camera on my fone, is it better using a camera? Anyway I took some pics of him before, again their not the best of quality and really small :(

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

DSC00251.jpg

I love the last picture :D

I find taking pics of my bunnies hard too. So I use a digital camera and just snap away taking hundreds to thousands of pics, and in there somewhere, there are always decent ones. Obviously with a digital camera you can see what you have just taken so can know whether or not is decent or not, as opposed to a camera that takes a film in it.

If you use a camera you can experiment with different settings, like on mine, macromode is great for my white bunnies, but for the black bunnies it blurs, so I have to use a flash. It's pretty much trial and error in my case, lol.

Basically I just pop Benji on the sofa or Pippin on the sofa, or a chair so they don't have much space to hop around and just sit on the floor taking endless pictures on my digital camera. Again and again and again.

I don't look at them- I just keep taking them, at different angles etc. and then after I've taken about 30 I look through them- there are always about 5 absolutely brilliant ones, 10 or so good ones and the rest kinda rubbish. I delete all the rubbish ones and am left with good ones.

That's what I do lol!

I have lots of rubbish ones of Milly too, he never stays still long enough. By the time the Macro mode has decided to take a photo Milly has hopped over the other side of the room! lol

I' that daft that I don't delete the rubbish ones like I should, I have far too many stored on my computer.

It can be pretty hard geting a good picture of a bun:X

They are active in the early morning and evening - you know when the light is not the best. I try not to use a flash because it makes Smokeys eyes pure red - and it cant be fun to have a flash go off in your face. So I have to increase the exposure and speed and that makes them a bit grainy.

Even an inexpensive digital camera should give better results than the cell phone, but the cell phone is always very handy and near by.

Please don't stop taking pictures because you think the quality is not great. I waited about 3 months or so after getting my first girl, Willow before I got a camera. I missed a lot of great stuff - her first binkie, periscope, dead-bunny-flop, etc.

Even a fair pic of your bun is better than no pic at all ;)

Tell me about it lol. I've got about 20 pictures of Benji's bottom, about 20 of ears and the rest are just a white blur :?

Yeah, using a flash doesn't tend to produce the best photos. It seems to make them look 'pale' and gives red eye. I just take loads and loads using a digi camera and end up deleting the majority. You have to be real patient to get a good photo. I take my hat off to those who take good ones.

If you take your rabbit ouside while its light out and find a spot with some shade, you can usually get some good photos. I also think that the outdoors are just pretty, so it adds to te picture. :D I actually have a setting on my camera that takes a picture without the flash and then right after, a picture with flash. So, they are pretty much the same pic. I like using this if I'm not sure if flash or no flash would be better. But, I know a lot of cameras don't have this setting. So just experiment with all the different settings and stuff. like Bracon does, bribe your bunny with treats. It makes them stay still for a few seconds. :)

Here is a flash picture outdoors.

4triwlz.jpg

I took this in the evening hours, when the sun was setting. Without the flash, I would have dark shadows.
I was able to fill in enough light with flash to lighten up the picture.

It takes practice, thankfully for digital, I can delete the few that don't turn out.

Rainbows! :)

When I'm out with the buns in the mid evening, still plenty of light, if I take a pic with the flash, the pic ends up looking like it's dark out, with the flash off, it looks much better:?, my camera is strange, not sure.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
if I take a pic with the flash, the pic ends up looking like it's dark out,
On your Nikon, switch the flash mode to Fill-in to highlight the dark areas.

67zr59g.jpg

On my camera, I set the normalday light exposure, andturn my flash down by 1/3 of the light needed,
and shoot on manual mode.
There is no red eye, because my flash is not directly in line with the eyes, to get a reflection.

I wrote a thread about this but I think it was lost, anyway, here is what I do...

Get a big piece of fabric and hang it up from something so that it makes an 'L' shape from the wall to the floor, try to make sure there are no creases in it. This will be your background, and a clean, simple background makes all the difference!

I suggest placing your fabric sideways on from an open window, or you can set up a lamp or two near your bun (make sure the cable is out of his reach).

Don't use flash unless you have to, it is much better to have enough natural light, as flash makes photos look washed out and casts heavy shadows.

I like to put ribbons or flowers on the 'backgrond' to make it a little more interesting, and it gives the bun something to play with!

Lastly, a border is a nice touch with a photo editing program.

By doing this, even photos from a phone can look great.

Here are some examples of photos I have taken this way (these were taken using my DSLR, but I have taken shots in between with my phone and they come out almost as nice!).

Editing with photoshop or something similar can make a huge difference.

***If anyone would like photos retouched I will do it for you, just send me a PM!***

_MG_3669n2smalleaster.jpg

_MG_2583nmsm.jpg

_MG_3746n2small.jpg

Just thought I'd let you all know that a bought a digital camera today, a sony DSC- W55. I have no idea what all those numbers and letters meen, but the camera looks good, it better had be I payed nearly £200 for it!

Crikey!

Digital cameras can be hard to use. Good luck experimenting with it :) I hope that you can take some pictures of Bracon that you are happy with :)

When they were introduced in January 17, 2007. The DSC-W55 came in Caribbean blue, pale pink, elegant black and sleek silver with a 2.5-inch LCD screen wrapped in a metal body. However this was in the U.S. not sure about the U.K.

Latest posts

Back