Taking Pebbles on a bunny date, worried about her catching something

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi there!

As some of you know, I'm taking Pebbles down to meet a certain boy, Yoyo, on Saturday for a bunny date. I'm quite a paranoid bunny mom with health, and to my knowledge Pebbles is healthy, but I'm worried about the rabbits at the SPCA.

When I phoned, after they told me he was still available, I asked if he had ever had any health issues or concerns, and he hasn't in the time he's been at the SPCA. He's been moved around to PetCetera to be adopted, but then moved back to the SPCA, so if he didn't catch something from the shelter, he could have possibly from the store which adopts rabbits from the SPCA.

I'm usually big on quarantine, and try to be as careful as possible with any new bunnies, but when Pebbleshas direct contact with him tostart with, it worries me that she could contract an illness. Or is it rare that ifthe fourthbunnywas ill with something, she would get it after a brief introduction? I would assume it depends on what it is? Pebbles is also housed right next to Bruno, who is right next to Poppy, so I worry that if she catches something, she could possibly give it to Bruno and Poppy. I was planning on keeping the fourth bunny in my room just while he settles down, then possibly bringing up Pebbles, or bringing the bunny down. Most likely, it will be bringing Pebbles up, since my plan is to have Pebbles and friend free range in my room.

I'm quite concerned, and wondering what I should look out for, and if after a brief meeting,is itpossiblethat Pebbles is at risk?

If you adopt Yoyo, you will be given a certificate for a free checkup at any Vet of your choice.... so take him to Doctor Potter's at West Boulevard, and she'll be able to detect if someone is wrong. You only have three days to use it though.

I can see your concerns, at any shelter illnesses can be spead quickly..

Gosh, Spring. Good Luck! I'm not real sure about quarantines. I would think you could do it for about 48 hours and check for signs of illness, but honestly, it could take up to two weeks to know for sure if a rescue or adoptable is perfectly healthy or you notice a problem:?.

Just my :twocents.

Yoyo has been through a lot in the last few weeks, and if nothing has surfaced as yet, he's probably fine. He's had more stress thrown at him with all his location changes, I'd have expected to see something already if he had a problem.

As far as the play date goes, you can do a lot to protect Pebbles. (We take our rabbits to places that I worry about infections.)

Check out Yoyo before you take Pebbles out of her carrier.Make sure he looks healthy. (Clean nose, bright eyes, clean vent, clean ears, etc.) Afterwards, I use Vanodine spray onmy bunny's feet before putting them back in their carrier or coop. (Ispray some on a towel and wipe down their faces, ears and back too.) Wash your hands before you go home. Yoyo is probably fine. You just don't want to carry any germs home from the shelter.

If you do bring Yoyo home, I still recommend a 2-3 week quarentine. For his protection as well as Pebbles. (Incase he develops something "new".)

Thanks everyone! :)

He's still available, so I'll be going down with Pebbles tomorrow. The lady said he gets along really well with other bunnies, but likes mounting them a lot (Not sure if that's because he's doing it out of dominance or still has his hormones. Do you know where I would find Vonadine spray, or anything I can use in it's place?

I am sorry, I could not find info about where to buy Vanodine in the UK... but it's MADE in the UK... Here is the manufacturer info:

V.18 and FAM are manufactured in the UK by Evans International PLC,whose quality system is registered by the British Standards Institution to ISO 9001. Cert. of Reg. No. FM 09535 Evans International PLC
Brierley Rd
Walton Summit
Preston
Lancashire PR5 8AH
UK

This is the website where you can read up on it:

http://www.vanodine.com/index.html

I think it's great stuff... I use it on all my cages and feeders and right on the rabbits incase of injury or skin irritation. I use it as a soak for abcesses.

Latest posts

Back