Taking care of wooly rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemargo

Reaction score
Hello. just so happened I was given a Jersey Wooly boy. He is about 3 month old. I have no idea how to take care of him but really want to learn. There is so much info online and so many rabbit types- it's confusing what info to use. I appreciate any information or tips on food and care (hay,pellets,bedding). What food for what age, when to switch, what is safe, what to look for (fiber,protein)? He really likes Blueseal Show Hutch Deluxe pellets but I'm unable to find them in NY stores. What bedding is safe? How to prevent hairballs (he keeps licking himself and grooming)? How often to cut their nails? How aggressive he might get if not neutered (will he be in pain )? I am a total "virgin" rabbit caretaker. I know you guys are the ones to help me take best care of "Wooly". Thank you all in advance.

Welcome to the forum! And welcome to the joys of being a rabbit owner! :D

First of all, you should read all you can in the Library section of this forum! There's great info to help you with your new adventures.

I like to use Carefresh bedding (which is recycled paper I believe). Whatever you choose, just don't use cat litter or pine shavings. Are you planning on litter training? Put the bedding in a litter box, and put the box in a corner or his cage or area where he pees. Bunnies can get quite good at using their designated litter boxes!

As far as grooming goes, make sure you brush him daily. I use a Furminator (I have a lionhead who is pretty fluffy too) but some other members can probably suggest something better, as I have never had a wooly. Rabbits can't vomit up hairballs like cats can, and since woolies are crazy fluffy, I would get him eating either papaya tablets or fresh papaya because the enzymes in them break down hair. One daily.

As soon as a boy's "plums" drop, which can be as early as 3 months, you can get him neutered. In boys, it keeps them from spraying, being territorial, and generally makes them a happier animal. If it ends up being a girl (sexing a baby rabbit is very hard) you will really want to get her spayed. Unspayed females have a huge risk of getting cancer.

Once you figure the forum out, we LOVE pictures!!! :D

I dont know much about male rabbits, so im no help with neutering and when to neuter. But chances are, if you dont get him neutered, he will either be aggressive and/or spray.

My Gracie has alot of hair and when I first got her was pooping alot of hair so my vet gave me samples of the Oxbow papaya pills and Oxbow Natural Science Digestive Support. She didnt like the papaya pills but loves these http://www.homesalive.ca/Oxbow-Natural-Science--Digestive-Support_p_3705.html

I dont use bedding at all because Gracie is in a hutch and is litter box trained. I use shredded paper in her litter box and she has never gone outside of the box. With my rabbit that just passed away, she refused to litter train, so I used carefresh with her.

He should be eating unlimited hay and pellets. I wouldnt introduce veggies yet. Usually do that between 4-6 months. Make sure the pellets dont have those little colored pieces in them. Those are like junk food. He will only want to eat those pieces and not the actual pellets....

We love pictures!

hi welcome and yeah youre bound to find a lot of help and information here everyone is very nice and welcoming. any questions you have theres bound to be someone with an answer!!!

Back