Taking bonded rabbits to the vet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeStevens

Reaction score
I am bring my angora in to the vet tomorrow for a sore hock / developing abscess. I will have to bring him to work first, then bring him back to work after for the rest of the day, as I live quite far and am quite busy at work. Historically, my angora handles moving around pretty well and will go back to eating once he's out of the car.

My question is, should I bring Penny, his girlfriend? She is more of a nervous rabbit and doesn't really trust people (although she jumped up on the couch with me this morning!) but she and Abe are really tight so I wonder if it would be easier on them... or not... to be together during the stress of the move and spending the day at work.

I would bring both. Bonded rabbits can help each other handle stress and new situations. Even just going places together means they both smell like the new places. If you only take one, she will smell different and that can lead to problems.

Since you do have to bring them to work with you, I would suggest taking a cage or pen for them to hang out in. I find mine are more relaxed outside the carrier, especially the ones who are more timid. You can get folding cloth pens or tents that work well. Take a blanket, food and water, dishes, litter box and other things your rabbits like to have. Veggies are also good to get them eating.

I have both of them at work with me today. I picked up a pen for them and brought all kind of food and litter. I forgot the litter box, of course, but I found something at work. SO CUTE.

Thanks for the fix!

Yeah they are pretty adorable little rabbits. Since returning home Penny has been super friendly with me, so I'm definitely glad I brought her. And Abe's foot is healing well - it finally looks dry and pale pink instead of red and raw.

The vet pretty much said he didn't have an abscess so I felt kind of silly bringing him in and wondering if he would need surgery!

The vet pretty much said he didn't have an abscess so I felt kind of silly bringing him in and wondering if he would need surgery!
I once took my cat to the vet, fearing a melanoma, and it turned out to be a blackhead. Who knew? :D I'd rather take my pets to the vet for unnecessary things than overlook something and find out it was serious.

Latest posts

Back