tabethas pee smells

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ani-lover

Reaction score
is there anything i can do to make it a bit less smelly?? she goes in her litter box and temporarily i am using carefresh bedding for litter, until i find something better. also, does anyone have to use bedding in there cage and then litter in their boxes? what kind of litter should i use??
~ani-lover
ps having an indoor bunny is so much different:shock: then having an outdoor bunny like Domino.

Supposedly adding vanilla (extract or imitation)to their water is supposed to help with odor. Just enough tochange the color of the water. You can try that.

She might be not drinking enough. I find if a rabbit drinks less, they can have really strong smelling peee.

I have the wood pellets in the litter box, and towels and newspaper outside the litterbox.

Hi ani-lover,

I highly recommend Woody Pet, or a similar wood pellet product, for litter use.

I've got 8 house rabbits and have tried just about every other litter product available.

Carefresh is good for bedding, but doesn't do much for eliminating urine odor. And it's a lot more expensive.
I pay about $5 for a 30 pound bag of Woody Pet. You only need about 1/2 inch in the pan, so it goes a long way.

Here's a link to a thread about different brands of wood pellets:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15881&forum_id=1

.....................................................................................................................

Adding vanilla to the drinking water is suppose to help eliminate theurine odor and is sometimes used to help prevent flystrike.......lessodor = less flies.
It may prompt them to drink more and help dilute the urine as well.

......................................................................................................................

Yucca is included in some feeds and is suppose tohelp reduceurine odor.

~Jim

thanks for the info:) one thing is how am i suppose to litter train her ??

she hates bedding,hates anything in her liter box-constantly pusheslitter out. i have a wee-wee pad in the bottom of the cage and everydayshe rips it to shreads-when i come home from school the toys and poopand pee is all wrapped in the wee wee pad and stuffed in the corner ofthe cage and all you see is the plastic floor. i put newspaper thereand she rips it and tries to eat it but doesnt stuff it in the corner.she lives in a 2-floor cage and she goes on the 2nd level to eat andpoops and pees through the wire and it goes all over. right now i haveher food on top and her litter pan on the bottom with a wee wee padcovering the floor and a newspaper over it. she drinks quite a bit buther bathroom gifts dont go in the litter box.

also if you look in the above pics she has a high corner litter box andpushes the litter out and sleeps in it. she needs to learn its gettingridicullous.:X
but she thinks its funny:bunnydance:
EDIT* sorry the pics are on this http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=17892&forum_id=1&page=2

Using a wood pellet litter will help alot. I used to use Carefresh and I did smell urine with itmore than I did when I switched to wood pellets. If you can'tget the cheaper Woody Pet/ horse bedding stuff from a farm store in NY,Feline Pine is the same thing and can be found at a lot of pet storesand some stores like Walmart.

Also wipe her cage down with vinegar to remove any remaining smells.

It's always taken my buns a bit to settle down in a new home and startusing a litterbox. Till then, they're messy littleheathens. So time might help. Also, try giving hera second litterbox (maybe on the second floor if there's room) and alsoputting hay either in a litterbox or in a hay rack above it.Rabbits love to eat hay while they poop.;)

My buns usually don't care for stuff on their floor except grassmats. Everything else is usually shoved around or shredded.

Good luck!

Hey! Jim

I know that your a Woody Pet "Maniac":winkbut I bought the Equine Fresh instead,which isexactly the sameproductand you get 10 extra lbs perbag for the Same price as Woody Petat Tractor supply.

I'm not sure if you knew this already but just thought I'dmention it!:biggrin:

:wave:

MikeE.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"
"Involve Me,I'll Understand"

tenacrewoods wrote:
Hey! Jim

I know that your a Woody Pet "Maniac":winkbut I bought the Equine Fresh instead,which isexactly the sameproductand you get 10 extra lbs perbag for the Same price as Woody Petat Tractor supply.

I'm not sure if you knew this already but just thought I'dmention it!:biggrin:

Thanks, Mike.

Sadly:(.....there's no TSC stores around by me.:tears2:

It took quite a bit to find Woody Pet, too.
And I haven't been able to find any other brands in the last two years.
Wood stove pellets are popular, but only seasonally.......go figure.

I drive about 30-45 minutes to get Woody Pet at an Agway. I kind ofwish I hadn't sold my pick-up, so I could buy more at a time.

That's what I get for living in the metro area.

~Jim

Latest posts

Back