Symptoms of arthritis?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the symptoms are of a rabbit with arthritis. She came in the house today and we noticed that one of her back legs seems to give way every now and then. She can't have fallen or jumped from anywhere high up. Last year the vet said that she needed to loose about 5lbs and changed her food from Supa Excel to Supa Excel lite. Six weeks ago she went for her vaccinations and I mentioned to the vet that she seemed to have lost a lot of weight. Her advice was to keep giving her the lite mix but increase the amount. Well for the last few days she hasn't touched her dry food, but she is still eating her hay and veg. She doesn't appear to be in any pain but she isn't her usual bitting self either. She is 5 1/2 yrs old.

I am going to ring the vet tomorrow but I just thought I'd ask if anyone else had been through this withtheir rabbit.

Sorry meantto say hello to everyone and what a great site it is too

And welcome to the site :) I hope you find it useful and helpful.

I had a rabbit with EC and we thought she'd had a stroke or something because we didn't realize that often EC presents itself in the beginning as the back leg giving out. It also seems to act as a "wasting disease" type thing that will make the rabbit lose weight.

I would definintely talk to your vet ASAP about EC- otherwise known was "e cunniculi".

Peg

LOL, I was going to mention EC also. A general check-up would also be a good idea, including a fecal exam for possible parasites and a very thorough check of the molars. Sometimes even the smallest molar spurs can set a bun off their feed.

Welcome to the forum! :wave2

Well i took Flopsy to see the vet last night. She thinks it could be arthritis, but not too sure at this stage. She said she was 1 kilo under weight. Anyway she gave her 3 injections:- Pain relief, antibiotic, and something for her tummy as she said it sounded a bit quiet. Providing she doesn't get any worse i have to take her back in 4 week and they will check her leg out again. If it is still troubling her they will take some x-ray to see if it is arthritis and we will take it from there. Just so glad i was able to bring her back to her home sweet home. :D

I hope your Flopsy is on the mend. Sounds like you are giving her great care. Did you mention the possibility of E.C. to the vet? What was her opinion?

I have an almost eleven year old rabbit named Styme. I do believe he's developed some arthritis over the last year or so. He seems a little more stiff. And kind of shuffles sometimeswhen he is out playing rather than big hops- though he does still get in a few big ones :)I have noticed that he doesn't enjoy laying on his back in my arms as much- I think it puts stress on his joints.Usually thatis hisfavorite place to be- but he can'tbe onhis back for long too much anymore. I am just happy to have my old guy still with me. Somedays he's a little slow, but always perks up when anyone comes past his cage and begsfor head rubs. :inlove:

clarzoo wrote:
I hope your Flopsy is on the mend. Sounds like you are giving her great care. Did you mention the possibility of E.C. to the vet? What was her opinion?

I have an almost eleven year old rabbit named Styme. I do believe he's developed some arthritis over the last year or so. He seems a little more stiff. And kind of shuffles sometimeswhen he is out playing rather than big hops- though he does still get in a few big ones :)I have noticed that he doesn't enjoy laying on his back in my arms as much- I think it puts stress on his joints.Usually thatis hisfavorite place to be- but he can'tbe onhis back for long too much anymore. I am just happy to have my old guy still with me. Somedays he's a little slow, but always perks up when anyone comes past his cage and begsfor head rubs. :inlove:
Hi, yes i did mention EC to the vet and she ruled it out....thank goodness
wow!!! eleven yrs old thats a great age, it must be all down to TLC.

Latest posts

Back