Swollen mouth and gums?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina

Reaction score
Hi.. just to tell you guys that Emmy has a swollen gum or something because when you stare at her face, one side (to the left) is normal, and then on one side (which is the right) is very red! And whenI tried to lift it up to seewhat was the matter, Emmy would always move, and the one timeI saw it was like a coldsore, you know the one you get in winter??Well right now I'm confused and don't know what to do! :(And my sister said not to worry about it a lot of times... But I think it's more serious!

Exactly where is the swelling located?Under her jaw? On her lip? Her cheek? Does it feelwarm? Hard? Soft? Can you get a photo of it?

It really sounds to me like it's something that the vet needs to take a look at.

Pam

Hi Trina,

I wouldn't delay in getting her to the vets. Until you do,you could try an antibiotic medication (over-the-counter) for humans,but I wouldn't count on it doing what medication from the vet cando.

Good Luck.

-Carolyn

Luvabun - no it hasn't beenstung by any bugs. For the last couple of days, i have not let Emmyoutside so the injury can not be infected.

Pamnock- The swelling is located on her gums. Andthis morning, to check on it, i found a cut on the bottom lip on whereher tooth is. And it is getting worse, and is indeed infected. But wheni told my mom and dad, they said that there isn't a swell or anyinjury..:?...so now i have to save money in order to pay forthe vet. --How much does it costs to go to the vet check-up??--

Also Pamnock, i'm sorry tosay that i can not get a picture on it because my webcam does not work!:(:?So i can't show you in any other way instead ofdescribing it.

Trina wrote:
Luvabun - no it hasn't been stung byany bugs. For the last couple of days, i have not let Emmy outside sothe injury can not be infected.

Pamnock- The swelling is located on her gums. Andthis morning, to check on it, i found a cut on the bottom lip on whereher tooth is. And it is getting worse, and is indeed infected. But wheni told my mom and dad, they said that there isn't a swell or anyinjury..:?...so now i have to save money in order to pay forthe vet. --How much does it costs to go to the vet check-up??--
The cost depends on the vet -- although a bill of $100 wouldn'tsurprise me. It might be a good idea to have a "heart toheart" with your vet about your ability to pay. Some are moreflexible than others.

If the cut is easy for you to get at, rinse with peroxide and apply atriple antibiotic ointment. You may needto open it up a little with a razor blade if it is pussfilled. Depending on the extent of the infection, oralantibiotics are sometimes needed, but you may be able to get thiscleared up with a topical ointment.

Let us know how it goes.

Since it is important to treat injuries and/or illness ASAP -- you maywant to consider saving a little money each week for your "bunny vetfund", so funds will be available when needed.

Pam

The cost depends on the vet -- although abill of $100 wouldn't surprise me. It might be a good idea to have a"heart to heart" with your vet about your ability to pay. Some are moreflexible than others. If the cut is easy for you to get at, rinse withperoxide and apply a triple antibiotic ointment. You may need to openit up a little with a razor blade if it is puss filled. Depending onthe extent of the infection, oral antibiotics are sometimes needed, butyou may be able to get this cleared up with a topical ointment. Let usknow how it goes. Since it is important to treat injuries and/orillness ASAP -- you may want to consider saving a little money eachweek for your "bunny vet fund", so funds will be available whenneeded.
OoO! That very expensive, and i only get $5.00 a weekfor baby sitting and stuff.. i can't afford it! Plus if my mom knew theprice.. she would be surprised... is she going to die Pamnock?

emmy.bmp

-- this is the front gum.. hMmM.. i think that you can't really seeit... let me try to brighten it up.. brb [[ if see.. there is some redswelling ]]

Thanks for posting the photo -- it gave me a muchbetter idea of the area you are referring to -- I was thinking it wason the lip.

Infections can sometimes be life-threatening. However, Ithink if you clean the wound, be certain it lanced open and apply anantibiotic, she should be fine. She may have poked her gumwith something, or a piece of food may have become lodged under thegum. I can't really see what's going on for certain -- areher teeth properly aligned?

Pam

OoO yeah.. i cleared it up for more details inphoto impression.. but i don't know how to paste it on here.. tophotobucket... :?got any suggestions?

Hi Trina,

The Doc is always right; she'll say she's not, but thatwould only drop her stats down to 99.99999% correct.

It does sound like an abcess. If it's warm and red with theswelling, she has an infection which must be treated. You can clean itby applied hydrogen peroxide, then making the incision as Docsuggested, getting out the pus with a cottonball or Q-tip, and applyantibiotic cream (made for humans). Treat daily until it'shealed.

-Carolyn

She may have poked her gum with something,or a piece of food may have become lodged under thegum
i thnk SHE MAY have poked her gum on something.because sometimes after she eats and when her bowl is empty without anyfood she would toss it around. The Bowl has ridges at the tip. like aclose in. its a plastic bowl. so i think your right pam. Maybe whiletossing it..she may have poked her gum. Ohh! i forgot tomention. Today morning we found another cut. on her bottom lip! IT mayhave been on the bowl again or she may have bitten her lip whileeating? I've heard that Rabbits teeth grow as theregrowing..? maybe i need to buy her some type of wood..like apple woodto trim them down?:?

I can't tell from the photo where her top teethare. Are those her bottom teeth showing in thephoto? Do her top teeth overlap the bottoms?

If you suspect the dish -- take it out and get a new one.

Pam

Latest posts

Back