Swollen milk glands? 5 months old?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Reaction score
This is kind of strange- I have a 5 month old doe and she's not pregnant. A few days ago I noticed the tips of her nipples where red and now, 3 days later she feels like her milk glands are really swollen (no milk is coming out). I thought maybe it was bacterial mastitis but that is associated with infection and there doesn't seem to be any infection and she doesn't act like they are sore or like she is sick. She is not carrying straw around and making a nest like she would if it where a false pregnancy- what should I do.

Just doing research it seems other people have come into this problem when they have a female during a pseudo pregnancy.

I would probably take her in just in case (i havent had this problem in my does but they are all breeding animals). Definitely look for any discharge from the teats (if you happen to see milk then a pseudo preg is whats happening) and feel them for heat. Also watch her for any change in behavior

I think I'm going to wait one more day- and take her to the vet - she doesn't seem to be in pain and is her perky normal self. The only reason I hesitate to take her to the vet is because my vet isn't very rabbit savvy and I have this feeling he won't know what to do. I was planning on breeding her she is special because she can produce blue eyed white Jersey Woolies - so I don't want anything to happen to her.

Back