Swollen Eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chsag

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an ag teacher who is having an issue with a school rabbit. I have raised rabbits but never seen this. I have a rabbit with a swollen eye. It looks like the eye might be pushed up or down. I havent been able to inspect it much but there does not appear to be much discharge. It is not pink eye. I have looked online and I have read it might be a tooth abscess
home.php

Any ideas??
Thanks!!

Well it could just be a plain abcess.....I have had a few rabbits get them but not in the eye....if you see a white head or anything have someone hold her still and gently poke a hot needle through it and start squeezing...once you got everything u can get out put bag balm or antibiotic oitment on it to heal it....hope it helps

FireValleyRabbitry wrote:
Well it could just be a plain abcess.....I have had a few rabbits get them but not in the eye....if you see a white head or anything have someone hold her still and gently poke a hot needle through it and start squeezing...once you got everything u can get out put bag balm or antibiotic oitment on it to heal it....hope it helps

:shock:You don't know what you are treating here; very bad idea to guess at it and make a rabbit suffer :confused2:

especially in the a sensitive area like the eye??? :?

Yes it could be a dental issue which means that it will need to be addressed by a veterinarianwhohas the skill to treat rabbit illnesses including dental issues... often something like this could be the result of a an infected tooth...Diagnosis may need full head and teeth x-rays

and maybe it is something else altogether

conjunctivitis???

myxamatosis ????

othertype of eye infections

OR any other myriad of disorders that we aslay folks and NOT vets are unaware of.

Please don't attempt to "stick in a hot needle and start squeezing"

I am sure that as an ag teacher that you wish to teach your students the correct way to treat an animal and in this case it is to take the rabbit to a vet.

list of vets for your state

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11590&forum_id=9

medirabbit material on eye issues

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Eye_diseases_main.htm

Please let us know how this rabbit is doing ....

Latest posts

Back