Swollen ears after vaccinations

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisp

Reaction score
Hi there, first time poster here.

Our little rabbit Alan, had his booster vaccinations on Friday. He got the new dual vaccine. Myxo + something else.

Anyway, lastnight my wife noticed his ears had swollen up a little. They were the same this morning. I checked google and as you would expect it was full of tales of doom and gloom so I booked him an appointment at the vet and took him this afternoon.

The vet was very surprised at the symptoms he presented. He has no swelling anywhere except his ears. She checked his eyes and little boys parts. His ears are not swollen in specific areas, but rather heavy such as they are full of fluid. No crustiness, lesions or any other symptoms you read about.

He's running a temperature and one of his ear canals is a little inflamed. At the moment the vet has given him an anti inflamatory and has asked to see him again tomorrow. She's hoping its a simple case of a reaction to the injection. (There is no reaction around the injection site)

Aside from the ears, he's happy as larry. Eating fine, running about the house, up and down stairs and getting horny with his football.

Any ideas or experience with similar symptoms? The vet while she can't rule out myxomatosis, believes its very unlikely to bit it since his injections have always been up to date.

Anyone got any ideas?? The vets always been good with him so Im sure she's on the ball. A nice, 'yes, your rabbits got a cold/ear infection/nothing fatal' from one of you guys would be reassuring......

I've never been a rabbit owner before but I've become really attached to him. Probably because he lives in the house and definitely has a personality. Last summer he has a bad case of GI Stasis but we've got him through it, onto a completely new diet and until yesterday has been as fit and healthy as you could imagine.

He's due back at the vet tomorrow, heres hoping he is still fit and healthy and the swelling subsides.

It could also be a garden-variety ear infection precipitated by the immune reaction to the vaccine. The immune system has to work hard to respond to the vaccine, and that could mean it's not as good at keeping other low-level infections in check. Since bunnies carry a few bacteria at these low levels, one of those could have been able to turn into a full-blown ear infection.

Well, he ate all his dinner last night, passed plenty droppings and was fine (after he got out his post vet huff).

This morning his ears are still puffy but not nearly as hot, he was running about climbing the stairs no problems. Another visit to the vet tonight, and Im guessing another anti-inflamatory to sort him out.

Fingers crossed.

Sure sounds like an allergic reaction to me. We do not vaccinate rabbits too often in the US, so I have no personal experience with that situation in rabbits, but I have seen dogs and cats with swollen ears from vaccines or other causes (like bee stings etc.). Most are self limiting and go away in 24-48 hours (though we tend to treat them all with Benadryl anyway to speed up the process).

Sure sounds like an allergic reaction to me. We do not vaccinate rabbits too often in the US, so I have no personal experience with that situation in rabbits, but I have seen dogs and cats with swollen ears from vaccines or other causes (like bee stings etc.). Most are self limiting and go away in 24-48 hours (though we tend to treat them all with Benadryl anyway to speed up the process).

Yes, I think thats exactly what it was. He got an anti inflammatory injection from the vet and then another 3 days of oral meds and he was back to normal.

Good to see his ears flapping about the way they should be, when they swelled up he couldn't really lift them at all.

Latest posts

Back