Swollen Ear Leaning Against Cage (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusd

Reaction score
A couple of days of go my bunny was running around and playing and that afternoon he had pretty much stopped. The next day I notice he is a doing a whole lot of nothing and not peeing or pooping we are giving him some natural things and he is doing a little better actualy using the restroom a little bit but not playfull at all. I just put him down after massaging his belly and noticed his right ear is swollen and kind of hard and he is leaning aginst his cage on the right side. I looked in his ear to check for mites and saw one tiny scab and that was it. Any info that might help is greatly appreciated. We are going to call the vet but don't know if we can afford it.

I agree that the only thing that will help this guy is vet treatment. It could be an ear infection or a very bad case of ear mites, based on your description. Both are incredibly painful and can only be treated by prescription meds. The fact that he's leaning means that the organ in his ears that tells him which way is up and which way is down (vestibular organ) is affected, and that can make the bunny very nauseous as well.

Other options to pay for treatment are Care Credit, a vet credit card, and IMOM, which is a charity that helps people whose pets need vet care they can't afford. I think it's IMOM.org.

If you cannot afford treatment, please consider surrendering the animal to a shelter where he can get some vet care. He's in a lot of discomfort and deserves to have this treated or to not suffer anymore.

If you are experienced in medicine (ie you know how to give sub-cutaneous injections), there are some other options you can try on your own as a last resort, ideally the last resort before surrendering the animal.

I hope this does not sound harsh, but I don't want him to suffer. I hope one of the other options, like a vet payment plan, Care Credit, IMOM, or even a local rabbit rescue can help so you don't have to surrender him.

Another resource is Save A Bunny, they're in San Fransisco area, but they're very passionate about helping sick bunnies and may have funds and/or another rescue contact to help you.
http://www.saveabunny.com/

Thank you for the help. I went to the vet yesterday they gave hime an antibiotic and anti-inflamatory. All seemed well until about an hour ago Marsmo had a siezure and passed away. RIP

I'm so sorry you lost him. He probably was hiding this illness from you (rabbits are very good at that), and by the time you noticed it was too late. I'm glad you did your best to help him out, though. So sorry that he passed, and particularly with a seizure--that can be devastating to watch. It is said, however, that once they go into the seizure, although it looks like they're suffering greatly, they're not really aware of what's going on, so it's not as painful/stressful as it looks.

I'm really sorry that you lost him; you did the best you could for him

...many times rabbits can hide their illnesses until they get very sick..

RIP Marsmo:bigtears:

Just a note about Credit Care: I never recommend using Credit Care due to their many hidden feesand high interest. We used Credit Care for my husband's dental work and regretted it due to the high fees. We ended up using another credit card to get it paid off. Credit Care even charges a fee for early payments. :(

Pet owners are much better off setting aside a little money each week into an emergency pet care fund.

Back