Switching Hay Brands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybunnywrigley

Reaction score
I ordered Oxbow Timothy hay which should bedelivered tomorrow. Do I need to slowly switch Wrigley overto the new hay by mixing it with some old hay which is also Timothy?

If so how long am I supposed to do this before I can just give him the Oxbow?

Thanks!

Jenn

It probably wouldn't hurt, but probably notnecessary. My Stephie pretty much lost interest in hay till I got herthe Oxbow timothy. She loves that stuff!

I agree with both! It's the same type of hay justa different brand. The only difference is one may be fresher than theother and that's not harmful to change suddenly.

Was his old hay Timothy or alfalfa? I would mix it if it was alfalfa.

As far as switching brands or types, otherwise, I wouldn'tbother. I give Bo Orchard Grass, Oat Hay and Timothy Hay fromOxbow, he's not fond of the bunny brome at all.. He always has timothyin his hay rack tho. :)

Bo,

babybunnywrigley said the old stuff was timothy also. :)You must have just missed that part.

I even went back and reread the post..... Sheesh, my mind was mush today LOL!

Glad you got it. bo loves his oxbow also :) isn't it nicer?!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I even went back and reread the post..... Sheesh, my mind was mush today LOL!

Glad you got it. bo loves his oxbow also :) isn't it nicer?!

It is! It's sooo much nicer then the stuff I got from the pet store! :) It's green! lol

Actually, I'm very lucky, my local pet storestarted carrying Oxbow last week. Of course it was after I ordered abig bag direct and paid extra for shipping and handling.:?

I know! and the pieces are longer and just look more appetizing!

It smells much better also. I am really pleased by thiscompany. I am usually not impressed by the so-called betterfoods for pets. I find my pets think it's gross! LOL.

However, Bo LOVES his oxbow hays and pellets. Get her a smallbag of Orchard Grass or Oat hay to add in for a treat! She'lllove it :)

My boys would kill me if I switched to baggedhay! They like the stems, but they LOVE the leafy sort of stuff inbales of timothy.

Bo loved barn hay, but the dust in it caused him to sneeze horribly. :(

I get it for free too, cause my sis inlaw lives across the road and we help with the hay field. *sigh*

I don't the stuff I use dusty! Sure at the endthere is some fine particles left but that's unavoidable. Generally thedust is gone between the short walk from the hay shed to their cagesthough.

Yeah, but ours is stored in with horses, so it'ssomething that is in the hay, might not be dust. It could behe's allergic to horses LOL!

Latest posts

Back