Switching foods

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wtfalcons111

Reaction score
So a couple months back I got my second rabbit. When I got her she was on a very generic pellet food. So when I got her I tried to switch her right over to oxbow. Of course with my luck she wouldn't touch it at all. So I had to go get L&M animal farms food which she did eat. The problem with this food is there is all little nuts and different types of treats in the food. I don't like that so I am still trying to get her to go over to oxbow pellets. I have tried mixing the foods but she will literally eat every pellet of the L&M and leave the oxbow pellets. Now i have started to take the treats out of the L&M food and just use the two pellets combined but she still won't take to the oxbow. Has anyone ever had this problem? Are the pellets really that much different? Any suggestions on how I can get her on just the oxbow pellets? Any helpful tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Anthony

Assuming that she has other food available (hay), I would try just giving the oxbow. If she eats hay she won't starve. Hopefully she will get to the point where she will eat the oxbow because there is no other option for pellets. It may seem harsh, but she will probably keep playing you to get the 'good' pellets as long as possible.

Oxbow is more of a 'health' food, so probably doesn't taste as good as some other foods. Most rabbits would prefer to eat the other food because it tastes better. If you don't give the yummy stuff, they might throw a temper tantrum, but will eventually eat the other stuff if you hold out long enough.

Yep, most other pellets are Alfalfa based. Oxbow is not. Timothy based IS the best you can give (Oxbow.) Try mixing the hay like 2 kinds, and then just force the oxbow on her. As long as she's a normal weight or above it shouldn't hurt her. Ithink she'll decide to eat it, if she's not allowed to be picky.

(mix the hay to keep her interested.)

Yep! And I predict your bunny will soon hate us all in this forum. ;) lol

Latest posts

Back