Switching cages??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggie0506

Reaction score
So in the summer we made Flurry a NIC cage for the cottage but since we first got her (august) she has grown and the cage seems to be to small for her. The cage is 2 by 3 with a shelf and she is now a 6 month old new zealand so shes not a tiny little bunny anymore... Anyway, im thinking switching the cage into a pen that is more portable and easier to clean out. So any thoughts, ideas, criticism? :?

x-pens are great! The only downside being she wouldn't have a shelf anymore, but that's easily fixed by placing something she can jump onto in the middle of the pen. Some people use those Cottontail Cottages. More hopping space is probably better in the long run anyway, so it seems like a fair trade; shelf for more space.

:wave:

As long as you have the space for one, then it should be great. Once concern with x-pens is that some bunnies can jump out, but they do come in a variety of heights.
You could add a shelf if you wanted to. You probably want something have can be moved and is not attached to the pen. If you are handy with tools, you could probably build something that can support him.
As long as he is litter trained, you should not have any issues, but you might want to put something to cover the floor anyway.

Personally, I would look for an x-pen that has a door that opens to the top of the pen. Most just have a door in the panel, so it can be hard for you to get in and out. If you can, take a look at the pen in the store before you buy it. Open it up and see how the door works and if you like it. Having a door you can go in and out of it much easier than stepping over it, especially if you are short of the pen is tall. I can just step over a 30" tall pen and I am fairly tall, so many people would have issues with it.

Our pens are made out of NIC cubes. They are great because they are so portable....but they are a lot harder to keep clean that an non-NIC cage.

Back